Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your decos!!!

Show me your decos!!!

Does anyone have any close up photos of a car with S/RS decos with them removed? I want to see what they mount to. I just bought some NOS RS rocker decos for my RS flared '69S and am wondering if there are screw bosses in the body of the car or if I just need to drill and screw them into the body of the car. My car was repainted long before I had it, so any evidence of decos previous is long gone.
    Thanks.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

But your car looks so clean and beautiful without...... no comprende senior Kenik
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I have a vision.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,
    I don't have any pics, but typically there are several t-bolts that slide in the al. deco channel. Each t-bolt lines up with a though-hole drilled at strategic points across the bumper then held in place behind with flat washers and Nylok-type M6 (I think) nuts. Should be in a parts book.

BTW, if the bumpers are fiberglass, the OEM bolts might be too short to reach through the thicker FG. You may have to fabricate longer t-bolts; not hard to do with some appropriately shaped flat stock brazed onto longer metric set screws.

Sherwood

Sherwood - I think kenikh is referring to the aluminium rocker (sill) trims.

These are retained by sheet metal screws - so it's just a case of drilling 'pilot' holes in the appropriate locations along the rockers.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks to you both; Andy is correct that I was refrerring to the sills. Interstingly, I DO have a fiberglass rear bumper and the bumper decos are already on them. They were attached in the manner Sherwood described with longer fasteners by the previous owner. I am now completing the look.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks for the correction Andy. I shouldn't answer any questions past 10:45 pm.

I might add that stainless steel self-tapping screws are a good choice in this area of the car. After a few years, a regular zinc-coated screw will be toast (same color), especially if the vehicle lives in moist climates.

Sherwood

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    So are you leaving the "Porsche" stripe above the rockers as well? It looks pretty darn good as-is with those in place. Could the addition of the rocker trim make it look a little "busy" if you leave the stripes?
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Perhaps. My car came from the factory in silver with S decos AND the stripes in black. When I repaint the car silver (no complaints please), I will use the black stripes which are more sedate. I have seen S decos with white stripes on a red car and am not particularly in love with them. That is another reason I will most likely leave the decos off until the repaint. Black stripes with decos looks very nice.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

various phases

1. chrome rocker covers

2. rockers and stripes (a bit busy for me)

3. nada
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell