Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Hood Crest for a 71S

Correct Hood Crest for a 71S

While finishing up on my 71S restoration, I found a old orange band hood badge in my 30 year collection of Porsche parts. I'm not sure if I had replaced it with the more current ruby red band over 20 years ago. The badge is in good shape and needs a bit of polishing on the gold areas, but the enamel is in excellent condition. Does anyone know if my car takes the orange or ruby red badge? If not, what years did the orange band go on? Thanks Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Orange, absolutely, positively.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Allan,

....a old orange band hood badge ....

..if you send it to me,I know someone down here who does a marvellous polish and resto job on such items !
    Could be here a while ,though !

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

An orange badge is correct for all 1965-73 cars.
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

It's coming back to me now, I had swaped badges 20 years ago since the original was looking tired, plus the ruby red version looked better to me at that time. I understand that these badges are plated, so what would be the best way of bringing the gold back? Or should I leave the patina so as not to make it look like those repos that are all over e-bay these days? I guess I got another winter project lined up Thanks Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My .02

Don't restore/polish the orange badge it looks great just as it is.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Agree with Brian, just a light polish.

and pretty valuable too, the orange one.
    Registry member No.773

Finally found my wife's stash of silver cleaning solution used for jewlerly and silverware. Said it was safe for plated silver. It's a dip in process and smells like a very dilluted acid. I carefully swabed the back of the badge to see if anything bad happens, and it didn't. So the entire badge got dunked in, and check every 5 seconds or so. The effect was immediate, and the longer it soaked, the brighter it got. Didn't want to over do it, so after about 1 minute, a washed it off and dried it completely. Wow, what a difference. I'm not sure if the darker spots could be removed with more soaking or if the plating was worn in those areas, but I'm happy with it as it is. Doesn't look brand new, but just the right amount of patina to offset it from the repos. Very cool, better living through chemistry. I'm toying with clear coating the badge with urethane clear coat or at least giving it a good wax job. So what do you guys think? Happy new year Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW!!!

I say clear coat it.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389