Thread: non matching numbers

Question non matching numbers

Hi all, I am new to this site and have a question, perhaps some of you would care to answer. Any help & advise would be appreciated. I have a 1972 911 E with a factory relacement unstamped case. I also have a 73 stamped E motor. So my question is if a early 911 is not matching numbers what is the next best thing?
    (A) REPLACEMENT CASE UNSTAMPED
    (B) REPLACEMENT CASE STAMPED WITH ORIG NUMBER (IS THIS EVEN AN OPTION)
    (C) SAME ENGINE TYPE STAMPED BUT NON MATCHING
    Thanks Dan

Hello, Dan.

Ifin you have acompletely unstamped case, kep it that way is my advice.

It will be worth megabucks for the ST owner who has lost or broken his case..

Stamping it as an E or even S will lose you plenty money.

I'd buy it now..

Kind regards
    David

An incorrect engine serial number dramatically affects the value of an S or an RS, but not so much T's and E's. Don't get too excited about the value of your unstamped case until you look at the date code.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Thankyou both for your reply's. I will try to find the date code on case, I assume there is a certain run that would make it more valuble? I will keep this engine in the car & probably sell the 73 E motor. Thanks again Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pressure fed
    I have a 1972 911 E with a factory relacement unstamped case. Thanks Dan
    Leave it unstamped. I'd rather have an unstamped replacement engine than a "fudged" re-stamped case.
    Chevrolet used to do CE (Counter Exchange) replacements for cars back in the day of "grenaded" Corvettes, Chevelles, etc.. If documented they do not diminish the value of the car that much. Documentation being the key term.

Since you have no way of documenting a re-stamp (as the factory didn't do it) I'd leave it alone. Seriously.

FWIW, Harley Davidson demands the old engine and then supplies a new one with the original serial numbers on it from the factory. They destroy the old engine. I've been down that road too.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111