Thread: Wiper Motor Removal and Wiring Question

Wiper Motor Removal and Wiring Question

Well, I tried wiring up my wiper motor yesterday and no joy. I have voltage to the various wires, so it may be that the motor is bad. The wiper linkage looks OK although I did not check it for free play. I would think that even if it was stuck and the motor was trying to move it, you would hear the motor trying to run. Mine was dead silent.

Also, when you are looking at a 1969 wiper motor through the dash, there are 5 male spade connectors - the top is red (power) and the bottom is brown (gnd). There are three between the power and ground connections and they are in line left to right. I could not tell from the wiring diagram if they should go black/yellow - blue - black/violet or black/violet - blue - black/yellow. Can anyone clarify this for me?

So, next step is to remove the motor. I tried to take out the whole wiper linkage and motor as an assembly, but there is not enough room for that. Am I correct with the information? Do you remove the motor from the linkage first and then remove the linkage as a separate piece? Seems like getting that motor off and on that way will be really tight and difficult. Any insight here would be helpful.

I am also installing a ventilation system from a 72. Should be just plug (square) and play right? I plugged it in and again no joy. How is the blower motor grounded? I did not see a brown wire associated with this connection. Yes, the blower was tested and verified that it was in working order before he shipped it. Thanks for your help.

Scott
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

wiper removal

Scott,

You should be able to remove it as a unit. As I recall there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding it in, the two large nuts on the outside and two bolts on the fiber strap on the inside. I believe I got to the two inside ones by removing the clock and/or speedo, depends on the size of your hands.

Good luck, John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Thanks John. Yeah, I found those attach points and removed all of them. I still could not remove the whole unit. There was not enough room as the motor kept bumping up against the body. I need about one more inch... Maybe I will try it again.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

If you remove the plastic fan housing first It's alot easier. The entire assembly will rotate out through the trunk (motor moves forward and the wiper pivots through the hole). If you have intermittent wipers here is a diagram from the upfixin's article, however it is wrong, you will need to reverse the 31b and the 53 pin wire locations to be correct. Hope this helps Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Allan,
    Thanks for the response. I actually have all the ventilation system parts out of the car, so access is very easy. I still could not remove the assembly as a whole. I did not want to force it, so I only spent maybe 5 or 10 minutes trying. The motor would not rotate forward enough to clear the body before it bound up. You also cannot move it back far enough to get the wiper points out of their respective holes (about an inch short). I will try again, but it just seems to tight to remove the whole assembly.

With respect to the wiring, the wiper system I have is just speed 1, 2, and 3 - no intermittent. The three spade connectors powering the wipers (other than the red and brown) are all in a line. It kind of looks like this on the back of the motor:

_ (red)

_ _ _ (black/yellow, blue, black/violet) not sure of order yet.

_ (brown)

Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T