Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Driver Training for teens...

Advanced Driver Training for teens...

I am aware of many driver training schools for the first time driver to ones dedicated to racing but, does anyone know of one with advanced street driving techniques for those teens who have recently acquired their licenses. With all the teens dieing behind the wheel it just seems like a good idea.
    Mike
    Early 911S Registry #880
    356 Registry #30248
    1973 911S 2.7 RS spec
    1973 911T
    1964 356C twin plug
    1969 Z28

I think that Skip Barber has such a program. I plan on sending my son to Lime Rock when he turns 16 to go through the Barber program. I've got three more years 'til that happens..... and my insurance rates go through the roof. I think that one of the stipulations in my Hagerty policy states that the rates are only in effect if there is not a teenage driver in residence, even if they don't drive the 911. It must be the Ferris Beuller stipulation.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

BMW offers one for new drivers in Spartenburg, SC. There is another in that part of the country run by an Australian whom I met on a Vintage Rally - he was driving a Series One E Type. If I can find his name, I'll post it too.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Pro Drive (http://www.prodrive.net) here in Portland offers a program.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Mike,

Autoweek did a fantastic series about this very topic last Summer..

Automakers’ Learning Opportunities for Teens
    Many parents—especially among the car-smart who read AutoWeek—are capable of teaching the traffic awareness and dynamic skills needed to keep a car safely under control.
    Published: 09/04/06 |

Driver Ed vs. Driver’s Edge
    As the sedan picked up speed toward a line of cones delineating an area deliberately soaked with slippery, soapy water, the driving instructor yanked on the emergency brake.

Back to School
    Since the March 2003 invasion of Iraq, about 2600 American troops have been killed in combat and war-related incidents. The count is well-known and updated regularly in news reports.

Death at the Wheel
    Traditional high school driver education does not work. The National Safety Council, in its 2004 Teen Driver: A Family Guide to Teen Driving Safety, even asserts the failure is global. That’s not the worst of it though.

Dutch Mandel
    Coming to your mailbox with a Sept. 4 cover date is a special AutoWeek issue we’ve been planning for some time. It focuses on teen driver’s training and what is being done to address the real need for improvement.
    Published: 08/21/06 |

Dutch Mandel: Bob Bondurant for President
    Two things about Bob Bondurant you could probably figure out: He is intensely passionate about increasing driver training among America’s youth. And, at 71, he is having the time of his life.
    Published: 08/30/04 |

Audi Teen Driving Experience: Serious Driver's Ed. for the Britney crowd
    IF YOU WEREN’T ALREADY a parent, these statistics (compiled from NHTSA, IIHS and the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health) could make you think seriously about celibacy:
    Published: 06/20/03 |

Do a serch for "Drivers education for teens"

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ategory=SEARCH

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks so much for your replies. My 16 year old son and I will have fun this summer.

MIke
    Mike
    Early 911S Registry #880
    356 Registry #30248
    1973 911S 2.7 RS spec
    1973 911T
    1964 356C twin plug
    1969 Z28

I would think that there must be something available at Road America which isn't too far from you. Here are a couple links that might help.

http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_sc...ew_driver.aspx

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Shop...172.A7008.html
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Thanks Jim. Skip Barber actually has already responded and they will issue their schedule for Road America in one month. They run programs from May through October. Who knows I might get some track time as well.
    Mike
    Early 911S Registry #880
    356 Registry #30248
    1973 911S 2.7 RS spec
    1973 911T
    1964 356C twin plug
    1969 Z28

Another option to consider is the Evolution "Teen" driving schools offered around the country at different sites along with their other performance driving clinics.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

something else you might consider is...

If it's in the budget: bring the boy out to Willow Springs, and spend some time at Danny McKeever's program. They have a teen course (unfortunately I know zip about it). This way, you can spend some quality time out here on the left coast, not only at the track, but in L.A. as well (Petersen Museum, etc etc).

Then again - lot's to be said for Elkhart Lake...that was home for many years for me

Needless to say; Whatever direction you go in is better than no action at all. Proactivity is such an essential factor in guiding our young...

Good Luck
    Cheers
    Thom Kuby