Thread: Checking CD box?

Checking CD box?

I have had coil issues recently and now I'm concerned about the CD box. It is the original CD in my 71 T, is here a way to check it? Do they wear out? Do they just quit working (like my silver replacement coil did)?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Also posted on Pelican.

They do just stop working. Sometimes when they get hot, sometimes they just stop altogether. They can be tested by wizzkids, or easily by trying it on another car.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Is it a Bosch or a Permatune box?

When my Permatune box started to go, it would get very hot and then cut out. An application of an ice cube or two would bring it back to life for a while.

Finally replaced it with a used Bosch. From what I gather, the Bosch boxes can be rebuilt when they die. There are several suppleirs of rebuilt boxes if you send them a core.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Bosch CDI

The boxes CAN cause coil damage. I KNOW, believe me. The silver replacement Bosch coils SUCK. Make sure you're using an orginal, GERMAN MADE BLACK COIL.

If I understand your question correctly: YES, the DO 'wear out.' It is NOT a case of either working or not; it can work, but still be defective - the first sign would be irregularities at higher rpm. Get RID of all silver coils. And find a good, used replacement CD box. Should solve you problem.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman
    The boxes CAN cause coil damage. I KNOW, believe me. The silver replacement Bosch coils SUCK. Make sure you're using an orginal, GERMAN MADE BLACK COIL.

Good point well made - my RS chewed a CD box after a silver coil was fitted - managed to get one of the black ones and she's running like a dream now.

Shame a $100 coil managed to take a $1,000 CDi box

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Loren at Systems Consulting can fix C.D. boxes. He's done a Delta Mark 10 for me as well. Good guy who understands electronics VERY well.
    Here's the information: http://www.systemsc.com/

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have heard that you can use a MSD High Vibration Coil in place of the black Bosch Coil with no ill effects. Of course you will need to remove the obnoxious MDS Label....
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks for the replies. I spent the day cleaning all the connections, coil, dist, wires, CD box, etc. as per Warren Hall's reply on the Pelican site. I reinstalled the original black coil (now 36 years old) and it is working fine right now. I still have some fine tuning to do with timing and the carbs but it's running much better. I did buy the MSD coil as the research I have done suggests this is a viable replacement for the original black bosch coil, it will now be carried in the trunk, just in case...
    Oh by the way, I have been a registered user since Nov.05, but I just payed my dues in Dec. 06. Now a member of Early S, #1056
    Thanks again, Neal.

P.S. If it was not clear in my original post, the CD box had not failed, I was just concerned about a failure since it is 36 Y.O.