Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your motor oil destroying your engine?

Is your motor oil destroying your engine?

Recently I became aware of an alarming situation with motor oils. The reduction of Zinc Dithiophosphate (ZDDP) in certain oils along with manganese and or other phosphates. These oils carry API approval and are very suspect in being able to provide the proper high pressure (EP) friction protection our engines need. The reason for all this is that trace amounts can damage catalytic converters and increase pollutants.

In reading several articles I have learned that many major auto part and rebuilders are aware of the problem, and are providing oil package additives to prevent camshaft failures on initial break-in. While several oil companies have confirmed the reduction of these additives, Castrol for one. The AERA (American Engine Rebuilder’s Association) has issued a tech bulletin #TB2333 to directly address the situation. GM is even adding an oil fortifier to oil in its cars. I must stress that all of the above statements are based on articles I have read and discussions from other high performance engine builders.

What can you do???? Motor oil debates have been and will continue to be a hot topic. In this case I’m concerned about today’s oil’s not being compatible with our older cars. Apparently there are several oils that do not fall into that category. Of the petroleum-based oils diesel rated oils such as Dello or Rotlla, and racing oils like Valvline VR1, also in the synthetic category Redline and Castrol seem to be on task. Not sure about my long time favorite Mobil-1, guess a little investigation and a phone call or two are in order.

I don’t mean to illuminate the oil pressure warning light, but I find this all very concerning. The Fed’s protecting us from our self’s without giving us any details or the fine print, API ratings that don’t apply to all cars on the road. It’s hard enough to build high performance engines and try to keep them alive with incompatible products and poor information. Obviously this is just the tip of the iceberg, with many holes that need to be filled. If anyone can add more factual information on this topic it would be very helpful and appreciated. In the mean time I will post more information as I find it.

Keep the shiny side up!
    Bernd Buschen
    R Gruppe # 357
    71' 914-6 Original Owner
    70' 914-6 GT Stoddard Built
    69' 911E Scott's car
    70' 914-6 Sold

Flat Tappet Engines only

I believe these oil additive issues apply only to flat tappet engines and really only during the break-in period. I don't think the warning is applicable to 911s. Though it never hurts to read the literature and becone aware of the issues.

johnt

May 7, 2009
    Esses Magazine:

"Installation of the 967 engine in my 70T went quite smoothly other than modifications to the body to accomodate the water cooling system. Hopefully the new government regulations banning the use of oil in all engines won't happen for a few more years".

Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie B
    Of the petroleum-based oils diesel rated oils such as Dello or Rotlla
    That would be Delo (as in CHEVRON DELO® 400 LE SAE 15W-40) and Rotella (as in SHELL ROTELLA® T SAE 15W-40).

Also, ZDDP functions primarily as an anti-wear additive rather than an EP agent. I will still research more before I respond further.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

So, if really concerned or if this is a reality, will diesel oils like Rotella, etc. be ok for our aircooled engines? What would happen if some of this type of oil was homebrew mixed with current 20-50 oil to pick up those additives? Probably a stoopid question but I'm curious about making up our own oil solutions if absolutely required. Nobody seems to mind using gasoline additives to improve their gas qualities so why not with oil? Are they not both from the same, uh, family tree?
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

This was a hot topic at both the Rennlist and Pelican BBS forums a month or so back (I'll post the links later). The consensus was that the newer oil formualtions are lacking in ZDDP. Steve Weiner (what does he know ) suggested adding some GM EOS Assembly Lube to your oil to help restore ZDDP to an acceptable level.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Both of these SAE 15W-40 oils (Delo 400 and Rotella T) are rated API SM which is the most current gasoline engine spec. They are fully accredited gasoline engine oils. I run Delo 400 in my motor. The primary debate is around the viscosity grade.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Harry, what formula did he mention for the mixture? Might be good to know the metered amounts per litre/gallon for consistency.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

There were great threads on Pelican on this. The bottom line is that the EPA ahtes the additives since they gum up Cat converters and cause them fail before the newly EPA mandated 100K mile "maintenance-free" stipulation. Even Mobil-One in the USA is a different formulation than Europe. Pretty much all oils in the USA are crap now. Additives are pretty much required if you want your cams to live. Lack of these additives just kills thrust surfaces.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I missed all these previous discussions and threads, so thanks for bringing this up Bernie. Will pay attention now.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855