Thread: Rear Bumper Assembly

Rear Bumper Assembly

I am assembling my rear bumper parts and am having a hard time getting a good fit between the license panel and the bumpers / bumperettes.

I am assembling these parts on the bench and then will put the whole assembly on the car. At least I have heard this is a the easiest.

Does anyone else have some assembly tips?

I may be able to post some pics later tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Usually bolt up easily so long as no rear ending has occurred at some stage in the cars life.

Never tried doing it off the car sounds like a great idea actaully.

Do you have the rubber in place behind the licence panel, do you have the plastic protecting strips on the inside edge of each bumperette.

Licence panel usually has a bit of a gap at the bottom which is closed by alloy washers 2 or 3 per side.

Top can't be out unless the top of the bumpers has been distorted as thats where the bumperettes bolt in and the licence plate fits over the top of the each bumpers bolt holes.

Hope that makes some sense remember I live down under!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks Clyde,

I have all new seals for every location to do with the rear bumper parts.

The gap at the bottom is my biggest issue. I thought the license panel and the bumper were to be tight up against each other at the bottom. I think my gap is about 4mm. I am using a Stoddards repro license panel.

Do you know what the gap should be?

I am at least allot better off then I thought
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I can get the top fitting well. It is the bottom I was concerned with.

This is the quality of fit that I have managed to get.

Now does anyone have some new bumperette rubber pads they would like to sell?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob:

That appears to be a pretty typical gap. If you really want to see a "gap" buy one of the aluminum license plate panels that are sold aftermarket. They require a "bit of work" to get anything close to what you have. Laying one next to an original steel one, they aren't even close unless somebody went back to the metal fab shop and spanked the press man.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

rear bumperettes rubber

Hi,

Roger Bray restorations in the UK sells repro rubber pads. Definitely not original Porsche quality, they seem to get small surface cracks (different type of rubber) but they fit well.

Cees

So many questions, so few answers....

Assemble the parts on the car??

I have never done it the way you are attempting. I have always loose fit the pieces on the car and gradually pulled the pieces into alignment. The gaps you show seem like they could/would close when drawn down on the car.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

So many questions, so few answers....

Forgot to add

The bumper guard pieces are available from Strasse. They have to "fprmed" to the bumper guard to get a good fit. I used the jaws of my vice covered with rags as a bending jig. I was able to tweek the pieces to get a nice tight fit again the chrome bumper guard. I had to enlarge the mounting holes in the bumper guard a bit to get enough play so that the rubber piece would lay flat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe