Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel tank finish and color

fuel tank finish and color

What is the proper color for a 1970 911 fuel tank? I assume the finish is the same as other undercoated areas, is this correct?
    Thanks,
    Jule

Not that I know of. I believe it is a "golden-ish" color, not black.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,

I am just about to have a meaningful discussion with my rustoration guy about the colour that he has painted my tank , that is , the beigiesh colour tank you show in your picture.
    I assumed he would leave it black as it had only been done a year ago.
    I wanted him to leave it as black.I have an 80 litre tank.
    I was under the impression the early tanks were a textured light grey and the later mid years were black.
    I am now confused.
    Which one is correct ?

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Kenikh,
    That is a very nice looking trunk! Is it original?

I believe that is how my 1970 tank looked before it was boiled out but i wanted to make sure. Do you have other pictures of your car posted elsewhere?
    Thanks,
    Jule

Hi,

I used original (type sprayable sealer) on the car and also the tank. The fuel tank was stripped and e-coated before getting a coat of spray sealer.

Thanks

Alan

Here is the e-coated tank

After sealer

A close up of the texture (on the front inner wing)

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

Is that the same wurth urethane seam sealer?

It sure matched the oroginal finish on the bottom of my 1970. Now that its painted it sure looks good.
    Thanks,
    Jule

"seam sealer" is only used on the body "seams" once the paint has been stripped to bare metal,primed with 2k primer (glasurit,standox are or were original suppliers and they manufacture there own seam sealer)it is then usually masked off and painted on by brush.
    Glasurit,Standox,Wurth and others also make a product called "stone guard" or at least that is what it is called in australia.this is used everywhere else, it is that grey textured finish and is sprayed on the underside of the body,front/rear guards,engine/boot compartments,behind front/rear bumpers etc. including the fuel tank (assuming you do not have "plastic" fuel tank).
    all these area that have stone guarded are then painted in the same colour as the external parts of the car except the tank, which is left "grey".
    not an expert on all models of early porsche 911's but this what i did with my73 911e when i did my complete ground up restoration, except i had plastic tank.

The correct undercoating that is applied to your original fuel tank is: Wurth SKS Stoneguard. color: grey. This is oem. I am about to do this to my tank also. I think you need about 4 bottles of this material and must also have a wurth gun to shoot it.

Someone on pelican did this too. here's the link: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...light=glasurit

Erick

I replaced my fuel tank with one from Performance products. It is finished unpainted (in the glavanised steel).

I still have the original that I plan on getting repaired.

Q: Has anyone painted one of these replacements tanks or just leave as is? Is is worth painting it? I do like the finish on these.

Thanks
    Derek

I thought that the cars around 70-71 had black tanks?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim