Thread: 1967 to 68 changes on 911"S"

1967 to 68 changes on 911"S"

hello chums.

I'd value the collective knowledge about the differences made dring thes two seminal years.

I know the mag engine case came in for later 68 carswhen?)..also mag trans case? and believe there were many trim changes, including at some point the wider S trim..what about body and chassis?

Does anyone have documentery pictures of these features, or just a list would help get things right..

Kind regards
    David

Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

David,

Quote Originally Posted by davidppp
    including at some point the wider S trim..what about body and chassis?
    Do you mean bumper and sill trim? If so, these were wider than standard 130bhp 911's from first delivery - 1966 ('67 model year) onwards.

Other difference I can think of is obvious - exterior door handles and interior door pockets and cards. Also heater channel lever - on '67MY is ahead of gear lever, '68MY is next to handbrake.

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

thanks Guys!

Yes, I did see that very helpful post of yours a while back, Kenik.

I was wondering about the S motors..and the trannies?

Thanks, Phil.

I'd heard that the earliest S had narrow trim..so it may be I was told ( read?) wrongly.

Do we know of any bodyshell develpoments in this couple of years?

Kind regards.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidppp
    Do we know of any bodyshell develpoments in this couple of years?
    One thing I noticed different between my '67 and '68 was the fender lips. The '67 has a very wide lip (almost 1/2") turned inward. The '68 has a shaved lip, only about 3/16" wide, to accommodate the 1" wider 5.5" wheels. I am not certain if this was done after the fact by a PO on my particular car, but I think I read somewhere else that it was a factory change.

The other difference I noticed was in the headlight bucket on the '68 there are four angle brackets spotwelded inside that are missing on the '67. I assume this was for mounting the different headlights for the '68.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!