Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are these on my '68 911 targa?

what are these on my '68 911 targa?

hello all, two questions, along the top of the door rails (plus a couple in the back) are several, i'll describe them as bullet shaped fasteners. it appears as if they're used to hold down some type of cover. is this a factory accessory? stock item? or just somebodys whacky idea? when would this cover have been used, for parking when the top is off?
    my other question is, should door handle locks on a '68 have a push button mechanism or the pull (squeeze from the inside) type? thanks in advance.
    '68 911 targa
    (still)'54 pre-a coupe

I don't know about those fasteners, but the door handles are push-buttons.

Need pics of door rail fasteners.
    Door handles are rectangular push button type which is correct for 68-69 only.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

If it's a cone shaped protrusion with a groove cut near the bottom that screws in like a sheet metal screw with a hex at the base, it was used for Tonneua (sp?) covers back in the day. Not a factory option, dealer installed, maybe. The cover (usually vinyl) had round washer like mechanisms with little springs inside that slipped over the cones and snaped into place. Kept the sun from beating on the inetrior and prevented water from soaking the interior in case of sudden rain showers. Ususally on full convertables, but I had a Targa with them with that new evolution 3M material. Never used it and I still think I have it in my basement although the car is gone. Hope this helps.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

old softie67S

boot cover

Hi there. Is your car a soft rear window? My 67S soft rear window has a boot cover that covers the rear window when it is unzipped and folded down. Mine was missing when I purchased the car in 1981. I bought a used one fron a porsche recycler in Maine. It is leather. When I bought a replacement soft rear window from Stoddards in the late 80's, it came with a vinyl boot cover. I think it is still NOS on a shelf in my garage. I could take a few images if you need them, or might be able to trace a pattern for you. tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

not a soft rear window

hi tom, i don't think my car was ever a soft window, anyhow, the fasteners i described are all along the front windows. only two are behind the roll bar. i think the prior post may be correct. that it is for a tonneu (sp) cover.

Tom sent you a PM

I don't believe those are factory items. More than likely they were added by a previous owner to secure some form of custom cover. I wouldn't classify it as a tonneau, per se, but I've seen them used on cabs/roadsters/targas to keep the interior clean/cool when parked in the sun with the tops down/off. Some of the covers that I've seen on roadsters/cabs/speedsters/etc. are zippered in the middle so that the driver can get in and use the car while the passenger side and back seats remain covered.

Hope this helps.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Fasteners are "tenax". The boot covered the folding rear window on a soft window targa. The interior tonneau was no doubt a personal add on... I've seen the clips on 356's as well.

e
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    Fasteners are "tenax". The boot covered the folding rear window on a soft window targa. The interior tonneau was no doubt a personal add on... I've seen the clips on 356's as well.

e
    BINGO!!! Eric, thanks for jumpstarting my memory...TENAX.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687