Thread: Removing tank, leaking battery

Removing tank, leaking battery

When removing the gas tank, is there anything else that holds the tank in place exept for the tree clamps inside the trunk and the hoses? On the driver side there has been a leak from the old battery and even if there is just visible surface rust I want to remove the tank and clean things up.

There are a couple of round holes that goes into the front suspension pan so if water gets into the trunk it goes either straight out the holes in the bottom of the trunk or via the pan, where there is also two holes seen from under the car. Because of the battery leak I would like to flush out this area, either with lots of water or something to neutralise the acid from the battery. Any suggestions? I did flush some water through the hole in the picture and after about 10 liters the water still had a sour taste to it, so I guess there still is some acid in there somewhere.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

The tank is often stuck in with the seal. Rock the tank back and forth should start to get the seal to separate. Or get underneath and thump it with your fist.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

So many questions, so few answers....

Tank removal

Filler neck obviously. Removing the rubber sleeve gives you plenty of wiggle room to get the tank out.

Wash the whole area down with a solution of water and baking soda to take care of any acid residue. Use a soft bristle brush to really work the solution into all the cracks, pits and holes then flusk with water. Be sure to hose off the bootm of the car when you're finished in case any of the acid residue collected on any of those surfaces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

H20 + Baking Soda

John,

I just went throught this a couple of weeks ago. Try using a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid, lots of it!

Good luck,

Jorge
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

I managed to carefully pry the tank loose, it was stuck in the old seal, just like you said Bobmagyar.

Now I will flush with BS an water, than get rid of the rust. What mix of BS and water would you use?

If using metalprep , do you rinse the residue from the metal prep before using por-15 or primer. I am afraid the paint wont stick if the residue from the metalprep is still on the bare metal? I read at the POR-15 site that one should rinse with water, but I tried that once and flash rust appered at an instant.

john
    Early 911S Registry #931

Not sure on the BS and water mixture, as I only used a bit. Rinse off the Metal Prep with water and don't worry about the surface rust as POR-15 will stick to the rust nicely.
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

So many questions, so few answers....

baking soda

The soda is used to neutralize any acid residue that may remain. I've never know of any set mixture to use. I used about a quarter cup to half a gallon of water and scrubbed with a soft brush. If you see any foaming, that is the soda reacting with leftover acid. Give those areas a second round.

The POR 15 metal prep is great stuff I used that after the soda treatment then topped it off with POR15 and a top coat of black paint. POR 15 will turn gray in any areas exposed to UV. At leasst that's what the can says.

I may have done a little overkill but, I figured I was only going to do this once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

The fuel tank is ready to be liftet out and I have removed the emissions breather hose, filler hose and the wiring.

How do I get access to the fuel lines in the back of the tank? There is a coverplate under the suspension and steering, must that plate of to get access? It seems the bolts that hold this plate also holds parts of the steering or suspension?

I just do not want to mess anything up.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

generally "mask off" area to be treated first, remove old paint and stone guard with paint stripper neutralize with water and completely dry out, then use old wire brush or similar and where areas are 'pitted' use broken drill bit to "pick" corrosion out of pit holes.then use phosphoric acid to temporary stop oxidation process.metal should be clinically clean by now and very shiny.prime with 2k primer,seam seal appropriate seams,prior to spraying stone guard and then final color.

always read and follow manufactures recommendations for products used.

this is what the so called top 'resto shops" would do,if undertaking such a repair typically from my experiences.

-----------------------
    peter kaufmann
    '73 911e fully rebuilt to 2.7rs carrera specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord
    How do I get access to the fuel lines in the back of the tank? There is a coverplate under the suspension and steering, must that plate of to get access? It seems the bolts that hold this plate also holds parts of the steering or suspension?
    Yes, that pan is removed to access the back of the tank where the fuel hose connections are, as well as the steering rack, etc. Two of the bolts for the pan also fasten longitudinal braces that come aft from the front crossmember to the tub.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!