Thread: Stripping inner rear fenders

Stripping inner rear fenders

I would like to receive some pointers on how to clean/strip the inner fenders of my 65.

My car is a driver (not taken apart as a full restoration) and I do the work on a lift. I used some Scotchbrite and a scraper but especially the area under the q. windows are hard to reach. Also are the inner fenders facing the outside harder to work on. Some one walked this path? By the way once they are clean (enough) I will cover them w/ POR15 before applying a layer of Wurth.

Regards,

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So many questions, so few answers....

it is a bear...

I used a small wire brush attachment on an electric drill to clean the areas that were left after media blasting. I was lucky because the undercoat on my car was very old and brittle. It would chip off fairly easily. On the sections of the inner fenders behind the doors, I used a small pick to dig around most of the surfaces and again, hit it with the wire attachment.

From the looks of your photos you've done a good job. I brushed a layer of seam sealer in the areas where the seams were deep and around the cup that surrounds the cable release for the rear deck lid. That's a very difficult area to get to and I wanted to be sure it was closed up tight before I applied the Por15 and undercoat.

Don't forget to mask off all the interior holes (door strikers, cable release, chrome trim, etc.) before you start shooting the undercoat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

I would stop where I am. If you take things much further, if any moisture gets in, if you are using water, you will be rewarded in a few months by rust developing under your paint. Let things dry for several days, then apply your POR-15. You will need POR-15 self etching primer to spray over cured POR-15, if you want any other paint to stick to it. If it is in fact just a driver, leave the POR-15 un coated, and forget about any moisture getting in, at least in our lifetime.
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005