Thread: Seam sealer

Seam sealer

Any recomendations on a good seam sealer available in Europe? I understand that the use of a seam sealer is important in covering seams even if it is going to be painted with POR-15.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Seam Sealer

Seam sealer is not only important, it is essential after applying POR-15. I have used Wurth Paintable Seam Sealer to very good effect in my '70 911T bare metal restoration. It is the perfect consistency, never hardens to the point of being brittle, cleans up easily (as long as it hasn't set completely) and has excellent resistance to chemicals when it does set up.

Excellent product, and I'm sure available everywhere. I generally use the small, metal handled solder brushes to apply , but still follow up by running a rubber glove covered index finger along the seam to force the sealer into the smallest of cracks and openings, You want to make sure there is no air (oxygen) trapped even in the smallest of cavities, as that is where trouble will start if you don't.

Take your time and good luck.

Cheers, John G.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers