Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alu. S bumper trim install

Alu. S bumper trim install

I received the front bumper from the painter today and looked forward to install the S bumper alu trim I bought from Rennspeed. The bumper alu trim came with the thick rubber insert allready inserted into the alu trim, and I installed the two thin stipes of rubber into the backside of the trim that goes between the trim and the bumper. There are two bolts allready molded into each end of the rubber trim that goes through the alu trim and should be inserted through the bumper with a nut on the backside of the bumper. There are no other bolt attached to the alu. trim. There was no other bolts in the kit, but there is several other holes in the bumper that must be for the bumper trim.

My question is how do I attach bolts to the trim to attach it to the bumper?????? I have been twisting my mind for a few hours, and even tried to grind down a bolt and tried to slide it into the "rail/track" on the inside of the trim, but the bolt will probably spin around in the alu "rail/track" when I try to fasten the nut on the backside of the bumper.

Anyone else that has bought this trim from Rennspeed that found the solution? Please give me some advice on this!

BTW I could not get hold of Rennspeed, tried to call them.

Best
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

You have to take the rubber part off of the trim and install the bolts then put the rubber part back in the groove.Don't overtighten the bolts or you will bend the the trim itself
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

John, There are special flat head T bolts that slide in the channel to match up with the other holes in the front bumper. This is just like how the rear bumper trim attaches.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks Michael, that is what I suspected when I tried to grind down a hex bolt and slide it in. I will just have to find a bolt with a wider head so it dos not spin around.

911quest; this alu trim do not have any holes for a bolt to go trough! I took the rubber off to check if there where holes. The bolts will have to be slided innto the innside rail as Michael describes.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Hello Zithlord,
    Would you mind sharing with me the quality of Rennspeed alu trim?
    I would like to get the side trims and rear bumper trims for my 67 here in Bangkok.
    Any close up pics.... please?
    BTW. I have been buying from Rennspeed for years,
    it's real pleasure working with them.
    Thanks
    Burint

911 Front "deco Strip" Hardware

The Parts You Need To Install The Deco Strip Are As Follows
    901.505.155.20 T-screws Qty 8
    900.025.003.02 5mm Flat Washers
    N021.196.1 5mm Nylock Nuts

I Have My Front And Rear Bumpers Off At This Time All Repainted And Trimmed Out,ready To Install With A Factory Set Of Through The Grille Fog Lights.....any More Questions Let Me Know.i Have Been In The Porsche Parts Business For 23 Years And I Have The Most Current Porsche "pet" 7.0 On My Computer

Thanks you guys!

Burint, I will take the pics this evening(Norwegian time) and post them for you. I think the quality is very nice and Rennspeed was very nice to do business with. Answerd all my question and shipped fast.

Best
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Burint, the pics you asked for.

I used some round head bolts, and grinded down two sides so I could slide them into the groove on the inside of the alutrim. Attaching the trim to the bumper was straight froward, just take you time and line up the bolts(now attached to the inside rail of the trim) carefully. Start in one end of the bumper and insert the bolts into the proper holes in the bumper. Tightening up the bolts will make the trim form to the exact curve of the bumper.

It look very good and the fir was perfect. The thick rubber insert could have been a little bit tighter, but it will shrink after awhile and then it will be perfect.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early 911S Registry #931

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Rubber insert

Looks nice John, but if you had bought the original Porsche rubber insert then there would be no gap at all. Don't ask me how I know..... 150 Euro's it is not cheap but definitely a better fit.

Snakkes, Cees

Hello Zithlord and RSexS
    Thank you for posting pics for me. They look good. I will have to make decision between the genuine or repro. I see a very unique spotlight mount grill you have on your car. very nice.
    RSexS, can you tell me where's the source of the 150 euro genuine trim mentioned in your post please?
    Thanks
    Burint