Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fog lights & ?s

Regis turd ab user

Fog lights & ?s

Install of my new never installed lower fog lights on my 71' (thanks for the "lead" Michael,) bad wire pun, curious as there are two sets of wires in fender well still with plastic ties from factory, seems I have no power at either set, will check fuse panel, wire and switch. Is addtional pair for through grill, and regarding bulb wattage, inside of light assembly calls for 55w H3 and owners manual has 35w. Checked five different local sources for 35w, could only find 55w, would I be ok with 55w or do I need to make wiring, relay changes, also any place to get non fancy smancy (inexpensive) 35w bulbs.
    Thanks for future enlightenment!!
    David

The wires in the wheel wells are factory installed.

You need a harness and a relay to get power. You will also need to get behind your dash by removing the blower assembly hoses and cables, etc.. There you wil see where the switch should be mounted (albeit behind a rubber plug if intact). The bulkhead is double walled. Drill a pilot hole and then the correct size hole for the switch to fit through.

It's a lot of fun. Make sure to correctly adjust your cables before tightening them. I found it nice to have a second set of hands to move the levers to make sure full travel and function remains intact.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Regis turd ab user
    Thanks Tom, I already have what appears to be factory switch installed and wire run to lower fuse panel. I need to check for power and continiuty through circut and back at switch, luckily I can remove speaker grill. Curious as to why there are four wire leads with connectors in each wheel well when light only takes one.
    David

David,

If you already have the harness from the dash to the fuse panel, I'd check the relay. The second set of wires might be for the thru the grill application.

Having trouble finding H3 35W? That seems strange. You should be fine with 55W. I've seen that same case once with a lense that almost looked like a driving light lense. It probably had the 55W.

Good Luck, post a pic when you're done!

Cheers,
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Regis turd ab user

Fog Cleared/ Now See This

After some research , found I need high beams on as well, and now have power to lights, not crazy about that feature but will look into it later.

BUT NOW

NO PARKING, DASH, INTERIOR, TRUNK LIGHTS OR CLOCK!!!!

Checked and replaced fuses, they're good. Did have trunk open for quite a while, but had switch taped off.
    Back in my old Mercury days this would indicate "Headlight Switch"! But the clock too?

What's next?

David

Quote Originally Posted by 911s55
    After some research , found I need high beams on as well, and now have power to lights, not crazy about that feature but will look into it later.
    Odd... should be the other way around. Fogs should only work with low beams on.

Sorry no answers but I'm paying close attention. I have grill lights and a switch but no harness to the fuse box. I too pulled my speaker grill for access but can't see anything in there.

Where might one find such an apparatus? Parts Heaven? Still available new?
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

fog lights

Do you have power to the input side of the fuse?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Regis turd ab user
    Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer

I have grill lights and a switch but no harness to the fuse box.

Where might one find such an apparatus? Parts Heaven? Still available new?

What I see in the dash at the switch is very much factory installed, except for one loose wire that runs to the lower fuse panel, bottom slot, #8 labeled fog light on fuse cover.

But by the appearance and condtion of the lower fog light covers, they have never been off, and original wire harness at each wheel well haven't been untied, so why the single lead to the switch? Yah got me!

Regis turd ab user
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo
    Do you have power to the input side of the fuse?
    I was getting power to the wires in wheel well, hooked up lights. Turn on switches,
    and,
    Pooof !!
    Toasted fuse.

55w H3 and fuse panel designation in owners manual calls for 35w, so they meant it I guess.

This was all after realizing the other lights (and clock) were not functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by 911s55
    After some research , found I need high beams on as well,
    That is odd David. I'd expect that reaction for the thru the grill driving lights, not fogs.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586