Thread: Whoa! Front wheels off center in fender opening.

Whoa! Front wheels off center in fender opening.

Ok, I am little freaked out.

I just replaced the tired 14" wheels and tires on my 70T with new 15s and tires and noticed that both front wheels are noticeably forward in their fender openings.

I have carefully looked over the entire front suspension, a-arms, shock mounts, etc. and there is no evidence of anything bent, welded or in any way fixed. This car has seen some track duty is it possible for the caster to be that much forward?

Any suggestions on where to start?
    Ulrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Little more info: The new tires are 195/60/15 on 15x7 replaced 195/70/14 on 14x6. They turn lock to lock without interference but there is evidence that the old tires made contact with the wheelwells at full lock.

The pic looks weird because the front apron has been removed for painting.

Ulrich

Ok this car seems to have a similar situation with the front wheel position but mine still seems a little worse.

Ulrich

Ok, I feel better now. Apparently this is the normal front wheel position on early 911s.

Regis turd ab user
    Maybe you're looking at it a little more crtically now with new shoes?

My 71' has had a recent alignment/corner balance and looks very similar, a friends 73' was here today same look, it is normal. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with the caster setting so the car will track in a straight line.

With the 15" wheel you gained a 1/2" in front plus the "new" rubber.

David

Man, did you have to bring that up? Now I all I could see is the forward offset on my just restored 71S lol. Yeah it's normal.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough