Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignition Upgrades in a SWB S

Question Ignition Upgrades in a SWB S

Hello, I'm toying with the idea of going to electronic ignition for my 68 S, what would the board wisdom recommend?

I'm thinking pertronix ignitor, since it fits nicely in the distributor, but Pelican doesn't list a Pertronix for a 68 car . I guess the one for 67 should fit, right?

Should I also go for an MSD CD box? Will my tach still work or would I need an electronic tach?

What performance gains can I realisticly expect?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
    Henry

I would have to say that putting a CD on my 67S was the single best improvment I have made to my car's driveability. Cold start and cold running was the greatest improvement besides no more fouled plugs. I used the MSD and found it to be faultless. I used the mech. points that comes with the car and since there is so little voltage with the CD box on the points, wear was not noticable. I also used the factory Bosch coil, seemed fine. If you hide the MSD box behind the air intake muffler/filter you do not even have to look at it.

I put a Crane in with the optical trigger and it solved all the plug fouling issues. Previously getting stuck in traffic the plugs would load up and it would take a number of "Italian tune-ups" to get them clean.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I've done it both way

The 1st time I did it with MSD you need there tac adapter so tac works. Only trouble was MSD tends to have problems a lot more oftin then not. I lost the big red box twice do to heat. I know 3-other people who also have problems with the red box quit working. I switched to Electromotive system w/ MSD tac adapter and have not had any problems for over 5 years. Look at pictures under member pictures "Larry Grover" and the pic showing engine. You can see where I hung it under shelf above engine. Vintage race groups don't like it but I do. Since I put it in I have never fouled anymore plugs. Same plugs since I installed it. Engine idles better and get to engine running temp better, rings seals better over all engine runs much better. I like doing most of my own work. So I added a used 1977 911S under trans oil pipe and side oil lines with cooler on my 1967 911S 2.0L. I did have to make my own fitting to screw into case and oil tank. Plus -16 flexible hoses. This spring I'm going to replace the trombone in front with a 12 row cooler in front spoiler.
    Grover #53
    1967,911-S

My car has a Bosch CD box, and prior to the engine rebuild had points. The day the engine was scheduled for the dyno the pertronix unit had not showed up in the mail. When the engine was run again the following day with the pertronix installed it created 5 more hp than with the points. Jeff Gamroth who did this work, told me he had always suspected there was a small hp gain with the ignitor.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    My car has a Bosch CD box, and prior to the engine rebuild had points. The day the engine was scheduled for the dyno the pertronix unit had not showed up in the mail. When the engine was run again the following day with the pertronix installed it created 5 more hp than with the points. Jeff Gamroth who did this work, told me he had always suspected there was a small hp gain with the ignitor.
    What would Jeff know

Hmmmm ... 5 hp in my 130 hp car.... that's pretty cheap for a 3+% hp jump...
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Pertronix units supply a much steadier timing pulse and are not affected anywhere as much as points by distributor shaft & bushing wear.

I see this on my distributor machine, in the car, and on the dyno,...

Using a timing light, you can prove this for yourself by checking timing before and after installing the Pertronix and taking careful note of how much the marks move around at 6K.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport
    Pertronix units supply a much steadier timing pulse and are not affected anywhere as much as points by distributor shaft & bushing wear.

I see this on my distributor machine, in the car, and on the dyno,...

Using a timing light, you can prove this for yourself by checking timing before and after installing the Pertronix and taking careful note of how much the marks move around at 6K.
    Thanks

I called Pelican to buy a Petronix since their website doesn´t list one for a 68, and they told me they didn'´t have one for a 68 Perfromance says the same thing!! What am I missing here.

Is there a change from 67 to 68? Anyone know what would work

Thanks
    Henry

Hello Henry, I`m a bit late to the party here but did you ever get to the bottom of the pertronix for your `68s ?

I find myself in the same boat, maybe someone else has come across the same problem.

Regards, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycar View Post
    Hello Henry, I`m a bit late to the party here but did you ever get to the bottom of the pertronix for your `68s ?

I find myself in the same boat, maybe someone else has come across the same problem.

Regards, Mike.

No, I ended up installing a Permatune box and left the distributor untouched, it works great. Hope this helps
    Henry