Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Driving Light Question - Experts out there help please.

Factory Driving Light Question - Experts out there help please.

Hey, I was working on cleaning up some unkempt wiring in my lightweight yesterday and had a question on factory fog/driving light setups in 1969. I have identified all my connections that were left unconnected post hotrod conversion (got all my interior lights, cig lighter, and rear def. working finally ). I have one left over yet to identify. It is a white with green stripe wire that comes out of the harness just behind the cig lighter and def. button - just where the driving light switch would be. There is another pair that terminates in a single female connector - these come out of the main harness at the fuse block.

Now, I took a careful look at the wiring diagram for 1969 and the white with green stripe is associated with the headlight high beam circuit. I traced the stock wires and connections that are standard with the headlights. They are in place at the correct connections. The wires to which I am refering are in addition to the stock high beam circuit. Here is my thought... The driving lights were connected to the headlight high beam circuit and these are factory wires - no question. Do you think my car had factory driving lights and how do these white with green wires hook up to driving lights/switch? Also, does anyone have a picture of what a stock driving light switch insert looks like?

No, I did not do a C of A since this is not a matching numbers kind of car. Plus, I don't trust that information. I just want to do my own sleuthing for self satisfaction. Can anyone shed any light on this for me. Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Well, from what I've gathered the driving lights did not have a seperate switch. However, there is some evidence that if the car had the thru the grill driving lights and lower fog lights a driving light switch was installed just to the right of the steering column in the dash trim area. There is a factory hole there that is normally covered by the basket weave. I've only seen that on one car. A Lilac RS. I don't understand why the addition of fog lights would have required a change in the norm for the driving light wiring.

I think I have the same wire in my harness up in there unused. I haven't spent the time yet to research it. The factory manual wiring diagrams are sadly lacking in showing the fog/driving light wiring for thru the grills and the rear fog. I understand that the additional wiring diagrams were provided in the kits.

There is no insert I know of for the driving light switch cause at least thru 71 there is not a "driving light" switch listed in the parts manual. I would be interested if anyone has seen one listed in the 73 parts manual.

Only the fog switch which would mount up in the dash next to the lighter or the hazzard switch depending on the year has a different insert.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

The fog lights and the driven lights go through the head light switch. The fog lights will be shut off by the head light switch with the low beams when the high beams are switched on. Likewise the driven lights go off when the low beams or swiched on. Fog lights would be one of the three switches in the center of the dash and driven lights switch would be on the lower left of the steering wheel. Fritz

What you are saying about the driving lights makes total sense. I knew they went on with the high beams, but never figured that they would not have an external switch. So, what the heck are these wires for? The white/green makes sense for the driving light - high beam scenario, but does not (to me anyway) when it comes to the wire that comes out of the harness behind the center of the dash. BTW, it is not for the blower - I have already accounted for that. I am getting to know the wiring of my car WAAAYYYY too intimately.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

T6dpilot, Driven lights and fog lights do have there own switch and they get there power from the high beams (driven lights) or low beams (fog lights). The fog light switch is located in the center of the dash.
    Sounds like a nice car and some pictures would be fun. Fritz

Is not the green and white wire for the T.T. grill fogs? At least thats the color up front.

Fritz; you write "driven lights switch would be on the lower left of the steering wheel". On the left side? I thought like Michael that if there was a switch it was on the right side of the steering wheel. I have a girl friend with a 70E Sporto with factory hood driving lights. Her car has the small switch(looks like the rear wiper switch) on the right side of the steering wheel, as Michal described for the T.T. grill driving lights.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

John, My car is a 67 so maybe I am giving misleadins info here for a 69 I should have said "on my 67 it is like this" I do have a push pull switch for my driving lights (factory installed) by my push pull switch for my rear wipers ( also by the factory). I belive that the wire in question of T6 pilot is for fog lights, where my fog light switch is (factory), which would be a common addition on cars and would make since to include it in the harness. This kind of discover is fun about these cars and hopefully I am not confusing things to bad
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool, I have never seen that before. Its the same switch I have seen on the right side of the wheel. If its on the right side of the steering wheel its not on the "underside" of the dash but on the panel.

J
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

In 69 if you had bumper fogs you would get a separate pull switch left of the rear defroster pull switch. If you had thru the horn grill driving lights there was no seperate switch as it worked thru a relay off the high beams when they were activated.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz A. Ficke
    I do have a push pull switch for my driving lights (factory installed) by my push pull switch for my rear wipers
    Let me guess Fritz...The driving light switch is the left one above your headlight switch?

That is a way cool set up. Any idea of part numbers on those switches? In the 71 parts manual (my only 2.2 reference) I don't recall that switch listed in the dash electronics or in the driving light kit. True enough your fog light wiring to the switch would be there because in 67 for the S they were standard. For us lowly 2.2s fogs were an option so if not ordered, the harness in the dash is not part of the factory wiring. Has to be added later.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586