Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Hub

Extended Hub

Guys, I'm thinking about making up an adapter to provide an extended hub for our early steering wheels. It would involve drilling out the rivets holding the wheel assebly together and using button head screws for reassembly (none will be any more visible than the rivets). We've also worked out a solution for the horn contact.

Does anyone have interest in such a thing, or am I the only one?

Thanks, Lee

Just realized we can still get the longer horn contact through Porsche and others. I never even guessed it's still available...

Mittelmotor has this as an option in their steering wheel refurbishing business. I have a 914 wheel from them with extension in my coupe and this improves the driving position considerably
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

Lee,
    If you do a search, you will find a thread where I was thinking about the same project. I had very good response, but I was having trouble finding a way to keep costs in line.
    Nylon would be a cheap material, but very dificult to machine since it strings badly. You would need to use Delron.
    I considered the button head route, but I worry about the liability and safety risks. You can buy the rivets, but then it becomes a much more complex process.
    I havent given uup on the idea, but the ROI for time and materials is hard to make work.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

After review, it looks like we could sell these for less than $100 - powder painted aluminum and ready to install.

I'm confident that screws wouldn't be a problem; look at how a Prototipo is held to the hub.

I could certainly do the install at our shop, but my initial thought was to just make the part available to DIYers. I guess I'd be willing to tool up to rivet the bits if there's enough interest. I couldn't tell from their website how Mittelmotor does it - any firsthand knowledge?

In any event, I'm going to make a couple for myself. I'm just not sure how many to do.

Here are some pics from my 914 wheel with extended hub by mittelmotor.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

The reason I was going to use plastics is that I am a bit of an accuracy nut. "The originals are plastic, so the replicas should be too!"
    However, aluminum would be much more practical from an expense and simplicity standpoint. Visually, you wouldnt be able to see a difference either, so this is probably the way to go.

Looking at the Mittlemotor spacer, it is noticably smaller diameter than the original. I will post a picture later, but the original spacer is actually slightly larger than the center hub of the steering wheel. The choice of material is no big deal, but I wouldnt be happy with dimensional changes.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I certainly agree with getting the OD right. My intent was to exactly match the OD of the splined piece riveted to the back of the wheel, but if the factory bit is somehow different, I could do that too.

My intended manufacturing process is to program a water jet cutter, so we can crank out as many as we want as needed - we'll just need to face the ends and tap the holes. We can also use the program on plastic, but that would definitely mean rivets, or at least through-bolts and nuts (not ideal in my opinion).

We can do any thickness, but I was thinking of a nice, easy 1 inch. I'm not sure, but I don't think the long horn button is good for much more than that. ADvice in this area would be helpful.

I've had 911s for almost 30 years, and recently drove one with an extended hub for the first time. I couldn't believe how much better the driving position, at least for one not so simean! THat's what sent me down this road, and I'd bet 90% of the early 911 guys out there would prefer it if they tried it. I don't know how many would want to modify their original wheel, though...

Extended Hub

Lee,
    I would be very interested, I'm sick of scraping my knuckles. Sign me up.

Wouldn't the thickness be determined by the longer "spring horn contact cylinder thing" that was available on the extended hub versions?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com