Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appbiz Carpet - A Cautionary Tale

Appbiz Carpet - A Cautionary Tale

I ordered a Perlon carpet set for the 911, looking to replace the very warn originals. The objective was to locate a close replacement without the expense of 'Genuine German' considering position of the dollar against the Euro.

I was very surprised at what was received. If I was looking for a light weight replacement, it would just be the ticket. The material is half the about thickness of the original and does not have the vinyl black edging. Instead the edging is double stitched.

The quality appears to be fine, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

So the question remains, did I install it? Since the old stuff was so atrocious, I decide to install it anyway as practice. It was very rewarding ripping out the old carpeting. But then one thing led to another. The paint was chipping off the back seat brackets, so those needed to be sanded and painted. The scuffed leather needed to be redyed. Old fasteners needed to be replaced, and the Appbiz seat-back carpets needed to be modified to accommodate the old fiberboard insert and rivets - instead of the Appbiz piece of flimsy plastic and on an on it went. It became a festival of "While you are in there."

What supposedly would be a 6 hour job has expanded to a 14 hour job, with another 3-4 to in sight. More leather needs to be dyed, seats reinstalled, front floor boards secured,etc.

Will the carpets remain? Yes for the time being and no, one of these days they will come out and be replaced by NOS. But at least all those things which really needed to be taken care of will already be done.

The moral to the story - know what you are buying because even though it may not be what you want, it could be what you need (sorry) to get all the little nits done.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Pics of the new installed carpets

The finished product....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

excllent job
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Wow.....looks perfect!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

looks like nice work. I'm getting ready to install carpets in a 68 targa, my question is what did you use for adhesive to hold the stuff down. The local upholstery shop indicated that they use a pretty heavy duty glue sprayed with a compressor to make sure it sticks, and that I might not be be able to just go out and buy something that would work. Anyone else have experience with installing carpet and making it stick?

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    I was very surprised at what was received. If I was looking for a light weight replacement, it would just be the ticket. The material is half the about thickness of the original and does not have the vinyl black edging. Instead the edging is double stitched.
    Your interior looks great. Can you post a close up photo of the edging to show the double stitch edging?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Ummmmmm....what's not to like about that carpet???? It looks awesome!
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Rick,

Who did you buy this kit from? I bought a perlon kit from Tony at Autobahn interiors, but still haven't installed it. My car originally had perlon, so that's why I went perlon, but would probably prefer velour.

Erick

Erick, the carpet set was purchased here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
    I paid the starting bid amount.

bmendel, the adhesive I used worked exceptionally well, It's a 3M aerosol product carried by Home Depot called: Super 77 Multipurpose adhesive. The set up time is 30 secs (need to wait at least 30 secs prior to install). I sprayed both the carpet back as well as the install site with the product. It didn't set up so fast that I couldn't remove the carpet and re-situate it where I wanted it. Also no pieces drooped or sagged overnight - everything held fast and is still secure. Another nice thing with this product is low fumes. I bought a respirator, but didn't end up using it - just some judicious holding of my breath while spraying inside the cabin.

Pic of the double stitch edging versus the original black vinyl edging:

The original Perlon is on the right. I greatly increased the brightness so the stitching is visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think it looks great Rick. I bought the same kit, except with the rear seat delete, but have yet to install it for fear of killing my family with the fumes (attached garage in an old house). The width of my space generally discourages any work that involves open doors too, but I digress.

Thanks for the advice and pointers, maybe I'll have you over when I get going... smiley wink beer glass, etc.

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles