Thread: Fan shroud air duct - opinions

Fan shroud air duct - opinions

I think I may know the answer to this but here goes anyway....
    2.4 (2.5) car running front oil cooler in the wing.
    Does my engine fan shroud [I]have to have[I]the air duct for the rear cooler??
    I much prefer the cleaner look without it - like on the 2ltr cars,
    or as shown below.

The factory added that duct, and the other air deflectors under the shroud, for a good reason: to divert more air to the engine cooler. The fact that they did this even on engines that came stock with a fender cooler suggests that it's a good idea.

Others may say "but the oil temp is fine" but remember that oil temperature is being measured at one point on the engine-- the more you can do to even out temperatures the more performance and longevity you will experience.

Now, concours is a different matter entirely, but most concours cars don't see the track, some barely the street. In your case a non-issue.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Gilbert911 you have PM
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Depends if you go with or without engine oil cooler(as race engine)
    #rennfrog

That extra duct on the shroud was added to send more cooling air to the engine mounted oil cooler. The 993 motors have no engine mounted oil cooler and correspondingly, no duct for it in the shroud. They get all their cooling from the front mount cooler. I think if the factory thought it was OK, then you'll probably be just fine. Just have enough cooling capcity up front.

I agree with you that the 2.0 shroud looks better. That is why I put one on my 2.8 short stroke RSR motor. I still run the engine mounted cooler and I have a carrera cooler up front. Temps are good on the street and the track in the cool northwest. When I was making extended speed runs across Nevada at 7,000 plus altitude last May I could have used more cooling capacity. I still have the battery box in place and run through the grill driving lights, both of which impede airflow through the horn grill to the front cooler. My next step is to cut out the battery box to improve airflow. I might even add a second front cooler, but it probably is not strictly necessary. I like overkill sometimes though . I will definitely keep the 2.0 shroud.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855