Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 356 Convertible D

356 Convertible D

Hey Guys, I'm going to help a friend sell his Convertible D. Had it over 20 years. I know it's a rare car. I'm really more of a early 911 guy and what I'm wondering is those of you in the know about 356's is what a general value of the car might be. It's very solid running car. Only knocks would be not original motor or paint color but very solid driver. I know all about the economy and it not being the best time to sell. I'm looking for a good staring point on the value of rare 59 D's. I will see it next week and drive it and get some pics taken. Thanks for any informed input you may have. -Scott
    72S, 72T now ST

The best Convertible D is worth less than a Speedster and possibly more than a Roadster. My guess is the range is wide, depending on condition. If it were numbers matching, restored to original incl. paint color, it might be worth $110k. Of course some off the charts perfect original car is worth more. Try the 356 Registry forum for recent values. I don't recall a Convertible D at auction. They are great cars, and rarer than speedsters and there is an enthusiast D group that argues that they should be worth MORE than Speedsters. So far, though, little traction
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Thanks, Steven. I did go to the 356 Registry and did some looking. Even on that site the D doesn't come up much. Not a lot of sales history on it.
    72S, 72T now ST

There's not a lot of discussion about the 356D on the registry chat anymore. It would seem that Charles the Blowhard ("although this is my first Porsche, I AM a restoration expert...") has been tossed off or perhaps he finally sold his 356D. The one he said he'd never sell because it belongs/ed to his wife.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

If you have more info and photos, please PM to me. I may know someone who might be interested.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Very simple. Go here:

http://convertibledregistry.com/

All 'D's are here.

-
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

The Convertible D comes up every now and then for sale - with over 1,000 produced, it is not that rare and priced between the Speedster and Roadster.

I am looking on and off for one and had a few offered to me in the last two years - All in correct colors and with the correct engines though - mainly in the $80s to $120s. In my book, a wrong color and a wrong engine combined should drive a 20 - 30% difference to a correct car.

Agree to check with the 356 Registry site and bulletin board (Could also try the 356 Club) or call the usual suspects that will have an opinion: Nick at European Collectible (They have a stunning one for sale, though pricy), John Willhoit, etc.
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

I owned one. Sold it about 6 months ago. Then bought a Pre A Speedster. I can share my "selling" experience with you if you wish. Just send me a message if you wish to know
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    It would seem that Charles the Blowhard ("although this is my first Porsche, I AM a restoration expert...") has been tossed off or perhaps he finally sold his 356D. The one he said he'd never sell because it belongs/ed to his wife.
    hahaha...i unsubscribed from 356 Talk soon after he started his postings....
    Perry

S Registry #326
    58 Glockler Speedster
    62 Roadster
    73 Carrera RS #0049
    95 993 C4 3.8
    14 Cayman

What did happen to him? He had the "rare" black one? I had a couple D's when he was posting.
    When was that?

While an old post, I too moved on to speedsters and wouldn't go back. There is something about the looks , seating and weight of the speedster that makes it perfect, any inconveniences about windows aside.