Thread: CV joint bolts and moon washers?

CV joint bolts and moon washers?

As usual I took too few pictures when I unbolted my CV axels. The axels are now "rebuilt", but I noticed 8 bolts where shorter than the other 8 and there was 8 moon washers different than the other 8. Dos it matter which ones I use inside and outside the axel?(toward the wheel and towards the trans)

I have bought new lock washers, 6$, 30 washers from Porsche.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

It should not matter. However you do need to get new Schnorr washers every time. It would appear you have a mix of components from a previous replacement. Don't forget to retorque after a few hundred km.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Also...go take a look at the Bird Board for the posting on locking Grade 8 bolts. What an ingenious idea to fix a nasty problem.

cheers
    Adam912.Out.

The lock plates are hardened and they give the schnorr's something to bite into instead of the soft tin of the joint cover. The schnorr is sandwiched between the lock plate and the screw head and bites into each. Your plates look fine, don't cut your fingers on the burrs.

PET says you can use M10x48 OR M10x55. That seems like a pretty big difference, I think it relates to whether the original axles were replaced or not. Of course, if you use the longer ones when you should use the short ones, they won't clear the transmission, so be careful. I use plain old hexagonal wrenching bolts in my 71, if you have a ratcheting torque wrench they are fine. The XZN, well I don't really understand the point, with any screw you must clean out the internal wrenching feature with brake cleaner so you can engage the bit fully before applying torque.

More here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...elleville.html
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks guys, I found this in the link:

If you have the updated Lobro axle you can not use the old bolt on both ends. The updated axle is not as thick as the original It has sheet metal covers that require the two bolt plates that displace the pressure from the bolt heads against the sheet metal. You can use the 50mm bolts on the trans end of the axles but you have to use 45mm bolts on the wheel end to prevent the bolts from protruding too far through the flange. Make sure the threads are clean and dry before you torque everything down to 31-ft lbs and it would not hurt to use Locktite.{see note above}

I have bought new schnorr washers as recomended.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim