Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 901 trans refresh, installing the missing gear!

901 trans refresh, installing the missing gear!

Hi all,
    I'm part way through a 65 911 resto and thought i'd start to work through the mechanicals as well as the body. The project i brought was partially stripped and not running so i just assumed the gear box was a 5 speed 901, well i got it apart and counted only 4 forward gears!

I have done lots of research here and think that all i need to convert it to a 5 speed is a new 2nd gear and mainshaft and another ratio to make it work.

so to the point of my post...
    has anyone used with a 2L 911, solex carb'd car the gearbox A,GA,KA(flipped ZD), Q,X? i can achieve this with minimal new gears and it ends up very close to A,F,KA,Q,X, which is the box kenikh recommends. (Thanks kenikh). i have A,Q and X already.

It will be mostly back road and highway driving, with the speed limit down here being 100km/h (approx 60mph) so having a tall cruiser 5th gear does not worry me too much.

Also what other parts will i need to do the conversion? any different hubs/ sliders or selector shafts?
    My other option is to just buy a 5 speed AFMSX box and hope its in good condition. Shipping a complete gearbox to NZ is quite expensive though.
    All thoughts appreciated,
    Cheers
    Reuben

I have a bunch of F mainshafts if you want to trade a GA for one. I also have ZD gears available. It would help my research to know the serial #, type #, and casting date for the box(s) you have.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Small hi jack

Dave

What kind of information do you want from the transmissions?

I am currently cleaning a 31/65 dated transmission.

Richard

serial #, type #, casting date, case casting # may be useful when it is near a transition point, and if possible the VIN of the car it came in. I find the tranny #'s more confusing than the engine #'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben L View Post
    Hi all,
    has anyone used with a 2L 911, solex carb'd car the gearbox A,GA,KA(flipped ZD), Q,X? i can achieve this with minimal new gears and it ends up very close to A,F,KA,Q,X, which is the box kenikh recommends. (Thanks kenikh). i have A,Q and X already.

It will be mostly back road and highway driving, with the speed limit down here being 100km/h (approx 60mph) so having a tall cruiser 5th gear does not worry me too much.

Reuben
    * EDIT - I used A-F not A - GA. GA is too tall for the jump to a KA 3rd. Not bad, not great. You should trade your A 1st and 2nd GA shaft for a AA 1st and F 2nd. THAT is perfection.

This is what was in my '65 when I drove to CA from WA and back, It was perfect. Half freeway miles, half back road. All perfect. I am still working on getting Solexes (I am shocked how hard it is to find a good, rebuildable set!)back in the car, but the carbs make no difference in terms of the trans.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

This is an interesting gearset: B E J Q X
    Sadly I only have the Q & X gears on hand, so lots more to find.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks guys,
    kenik thanks for your input. Without real driving experience in this car it's hard for me to tell what's going to work, your advice is much appreciated. Would an AA gear be taller or shorter than A?
    Dave I will get the numbers off the trans on Monday when I'm back at work, would you be willing to sell one of your F mainshafts? I was only thinking GA because that's what seemed more available.

yes, I can sell an F shaft set, and a ZD gearset.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben L View Post
    Thanks guys,
    kenik thanks for your input. Without real driving experience in this car it's hard for me to tell what's going to work, your advice is much appreciated. Would an AA gear be taller or shorter than A?
    Taller - it is my favorite 1st gear in a 901.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Ok thanks, Il look for a AA first gear set.