Thread: Fuel Lines

Fuel Lines

My 68 has rubber fuel lines with compression clamps. I have seen from photos that this is very common practice and I hear of few problems so it must be acceptable and functional for the most part. Gasoline under pressure just makes me a little nervous.

I would prefer to "upgrade" to a hard line type of system with threaded fittings from the fuel pump to the carbs (the pressurized side of the system) on my 68 911. I would prefer not to go with braided hose and AN fittings as that looks a little too modern and race car to suit me. I was thinking steel flared tubing would look a little more vintage, sort of like the fuel tubing with the MFI. Of course one segment of braided hose would be necessary to accomidate engine movement relative to the fuel pump.

Surely someone here has done that? Is this available as a kit or off the shelf part somewhere, are some of the competion cars required to have this type of system?

Thanks for the insight.

Gary

Gary,

BTDT, on my 71 911 I have braided stainless through the tunnel and Aeroquip Startlite, -AN fittings throughout.

On a 68 911 the most important thing is that the fuel lines not be cracked or leaking or subject to to mechanical failure. That means the lines up front under the crossmember by the tank, the line from the steel hardline in the tunnel to the steel hardline that works its way under the left rear seat, the line from that hardline to the fuel pump, and the lines from the fuel pump to the carbs.

The maximum fuel pressure is only about 5psi in this system, so the factory's braided cloth Cohline hose is more than capable of handling the pressure IF it is installed with the correct clamps and routing.

I would not spend the time or money with anything other than new cohline hose and clamps-- the trouble with steel flared tubing is that it is subject to cracking due to vibration-- and there is a LOT of vibration from an engineering standpoint.

As it stands sourcing and reinstalling the correct hose is probably a weekend job-- to me it makes sense to do that rather than improvising something new that will be a retrograde step. New tank strainers (outlet and Webasto, if so equipped), hoses, clamps etc., shouldn't be too expensive.

If I ever do it over again I'm going full Cohline, including the 30mm oil lines. Can't beat the factory approach given the specs of the stock system.

Remember this last point which bears repeating-- gasoline is the most toxic and hazardous substance we normally come in contact with, be extremely careful.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

This fuel line stuff has my head spinning! From the Cohline catalog - http://www.newcoproducts.com/cohline/catalog_page19.htm
    Any idea which type fuel hose is correct for '72 with MFI?
    Braided, obviously, but is anything they show in their catalog, pgs 18 & 19 the correct hose? I need to replace the 4.5mm cold start lines (and oetiger clamps) and 7mm supply lines. Thanks!
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone