Thread: door check rebuild?

door check rebuild?

Yes I searched. Replacing door check on a 71 and I am looking at the replacements and they are different than my originals. My og ones have beefier check rods that and visible springs.the replacements look like vw or 914 parts.Is this what im stuck with? All I need is the plasTic "wheel" on the rod. Mine has the 1.5 inch bolt spacing Steve

door check rebuild?

That's what you get for replacement, original style NLA. The new style has a little too much hump on the strap, makes for a little too much resistance when operating door. You can sand down some of the hump to make the action a little smoother. I gather up all of the old ones I can at swap meets then I have a stash of replacement parts to keep rebuilding them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The new type offer to much resistence so as Ed says you can reduce this by reducing the hump. On all our resto cars we fit new straps but when fitted with the original pins supplied by Porsche the doors tends to click and thud when they open. This is due to the strength of the new strap and also enlarged holes the pins sit in on the A-post. For this reason we make our own door pins which are measured and fitted to each and every door. On one recent car (a RHD 2.4S) the hole where the pins fits was different from top to bottom and thus the pin had to have a step in it so it fitted correctly. The problem with this is the step meant the pin had to be inserted from the bottom and would thus not look original. We therefore made a separate top hat that screwed into the top once the pin was fitted. I know no one will ever see this but it worked perfectly.

Alan

nice work Alan, and I thought I had it bad...............
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294