Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Savers vs Time-Serts?

Case Savers vs Time-Serts?

I'm going back to a 2.7 liter configuration from 2.9 on a 7R case. So far we're hoping to just do the top end. It already has Time-Serts in it. However there is evidence of one pulled head stud. Wayne Dempsey's book suggests that the Case Savers are better in a magnesium case. My mechanic prefers the smaller Time-Serts.

I'd love to hear some other opinions or thoughts on this.

Thanks.

A.T.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

Case Savers are pretty much the accepted gold standard for mag cases. Your mechanic probably prefers time certs since he can do them easily on site, versus having the case machined to accept the Case Savers.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

+1. There isn't much debate on this point; the real experts all seem to agree.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

A Case Saver is an actual insert; it does a much better job of biting into the brittle magnesium than a Timesert which is more likely to pull out of the magnesium.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks guys.

How much more work is it to install the Case Savers? Is this something that can be done without splitting the case? The case has Time-Serts (one of which may have pulled). If I had the dollars I'd naturally be much happier rebuilding the whole thing.

A.T.
    A.T.

I'm curious about this. A Timesert is nothing like a Helicoil. I wonder whether there may have been bad experiences with Timeserts due to using the wrong length.

If your case is pulling a Timesert, I'd say that it's time to find a new case.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    I'm curious about this. A Timesert is nothing like a Helicoil. I wonder whether there may have been bad experiences with Timeserts due to using the wrong length.

Why? You can just drop a case saver right into a pulled time cert boss...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post

What I meant by "like a heli-coil" is that, like a heli-coil, Timeserts pull right out of the mag because of lack of "bite" (edited above post for clarity).

If you've had good luck with them then, by all means, keep using what works for you; I'll keep using Case Savers as I've never had a problem.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

My mechanic's concern with Case Savers is the limited amount of material between the larger Case Savers (larger than Time-Serts) and the spigot, particularly with a 7R case. Another very experienced mechanic I checked with also expressed the same reservation.

If everything is intact and we don't find any immediate reason for splitting the case we'll leave the time-serts.

I wish I could do this stuff myself and be able to speak from personal experience. I try to be careful when approaching my mechanic with stuff I've read here or elsewhere. I can appreciate how all this internet info can make the pros with years of real hands on experience nuts.

I do appreciate the feedback though. I'll let you know if any problems develop.

Thanks again.

A.T.
    A.T.

Hi,

Been using Case Savers on mag cases since 1977 with no issues whatsoever and many of these were 2.7 or 2.8 litre engines.

Mag cases will crack, even 7R ones, but not usually in the spigot area,....

Its the proper repair for any mag engine case.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com