Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP trunk locked

HELP trunk locked

Well, sometimes we do a good thing when we pick up a wrench and sometimes we do the other I adjusted the hood at the hinge bolts to bring a gap in a bit and when I closed it it will not open. The cable is fine and it pops up a 1/2 inch, or so, but that is it. I tried to push it down without it locking, so I could try to flex it and work it to pop, but nothing. It is also more out of alignment now,,, and I have done this som many times in the past.

Any ideas how I can get ths opened

Thanks,

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I did the same thing a number of years ago. Get a helper and while they pull on the release, yank up swiftly on the hood. It should let go after a few tugs. Then you can readjust the cable at the release mechanism to accomodate the additional friction from the new hinge placement.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yup, I tried that while my wife pulled the cable handle and we go nothing. My adjustment was so minimal to the hood, it is hard to believe this can happen.

Well, time to keep thinking and hoping
    John

RGruppe member 445

HELP trunk locked

Now that you've moved the hood, the post is not centered in the latch anymore, the edge of the post is caught on the edge of the latch hole. I use a vice grip to hold the release cable back (although the wife is likely more attractive) then try pushing/twisting the hood in different directions, trying to find which edge it is caught on and hopefully clear it. Anytime you play with hood adjustments remove the upper latch assembly until you have the fit you want, then reinstall and use a mirror to ensure the pin is going to centered in the hole before latching. I will remove the spring from the hood pin and just screw in the pin so that I can better determine if it will be centered. When doing this always keep the hood cable clamped back with the vice grips (or wife)
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hey Ed, I tried all that. My thinking now is to unscrew the cable t handle and let the cable get sucked into the pipe that carries it to the latches. I am not sure if this is a good idea, but the owners manual for the 73 911 says that if the cable brakes that it releases to the open position. I agree completely with your diagnosis and it proves out as the piece the cable pulls on inside of the female receptacle isn on the drivers side (same side the cable runs on) and the drivers side, even after I release it stays closed while the passenger side lifts up much more. I need to get that part that moves inside the receptacle (pin?) further towards the drivers side to, perhaps create the space that is needed for this to release. This is why I am thinking of screwing off the handle and letting it go inside the tube. It seems like a scary move, so I am holding off until someone hopefully tells me if this is a good idea.

Man, this is killing me right now. I am reading some horror stories about this. Guys cutting our some of the pan for access, and others cutting the hood, while I read the occassional post where it pops open after a good wrestling match. I hope my wrestling match works.

Thanks for the help.
    John

RGruppe member 445

EDMAYO is correct regarding removal of hood latch before any adjustments are made--this is true for any vehicle. As for getting out the air chisel......seriously, take the car to a very good body shop (preferably one that does Porsches). In many years of owning a body shop, there was never a situation like this that we could not resolve --without cutting. A good auto body man is worthy of mountains of respect--you'd be surprised how having the right touch learned from years of experience can make opening a stuck hood like this seem easy......my $.02

HELP trunk locked

I would NOT unscrew that cable end ! I agree with Sabby, if there is a good Porsche experienced body shop nearby take it to them, you might be surprised how much twisting/pushing you need to do. Try again with the cable held to released position then slightly push hood down and push /twist and don't be afraid to apply some torque. You may need to apply force in two directions at once, like pushing front of hood towards rear while pushing down on the side.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Mine to was stuck with the plunger being caught on the lip of the receiver. Here are some ideas I found.

1) Jack the car up from various points in the front in hopes of changing the positions of the parts (didn't work for me)

2) Fish some wire around the plunger so you can try and pull it one direction or another, or slip something solid like a screw driver through the crack between the bumper and hood a give the plunger a tap from various angles (didn't work for me).

3) Remove the front bumper and try and loosen the bottom portion of the latch. this is the method that worked for me but I was lucky enough to have another car to help locate the exact position of the bolts so I knew how far the wrench had to go in to reach them (you will need wrench with a flex head). It is hard to do because you are doing it blind, and will only work if you have enough space to slide the wrench through the opening.

Good luck
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    Well, sometimes we do a good thing when we pick up a wrench and sometimes we do the other I adjusted the hood at the hinge bolts to bring a gap in a bit and when I closed it it will not open. The cable is fine and it pops up a 1/2 inch, or so, but that is it. I tried to push it down without it locking, so I could try to flex it and work it to pop, but nothing. It is also more out of alignment now,,, and I have done this som many times in the past.

Any ideas how I can get ths opened

Thanks,

John
    Yikes! Hope you get it fixed John....tell me it's NOT the RS???
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Hey Stacy:

Yup, it is the RS. I am beside myself and am getting the car to my shop asap.

I spent about five hours trying to pop it and my fingers are twice the size as they are so swollen.

I hope the bumper removal works as cutting the pan is really a very troubling option. Well, I am going back to the garage to see if the car got a good nights sleep and is willing to cooperate

Thanks for all the hlep my fellow S friends. I will keep you all posted.

John
    John

RGruppe member 445