Thread: Safely putting a 911 on a two post lift?

Safely putting a 911 on a two post lift?

Guys

Anyone know the safest position to place a early 911 on a two post asymmetric lift?

References supplied with my lift give the recommended lifting points for the 911, but do not supply the car position/direction?

Should the car be engine forward (relative same engine position for a front engine car) or to the rear and where should the car be placed relative to the spotting dish? I have seen photos on the internet of both? I assume the lift and spotting dish is mostly correct/relative for the more common front engine arrangement. Ideally the car center of gravity should be between the posts. So what do folks here do? I want to do what is most safe.

Thanks

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gary,

I don't claim to be an expert here, but I always felt most comfortable with the car backwards on a two post lift. The shorter arms on the front of the lift are designed for bearing the greatest weight and when placed in that position, there was the least amount of "bounce".

The arms under the rear of the car were placed on the swing arm mounts. For the front of the car I cut a single groove in a hockey puck, which was then placed under the welded body seam at the front of the floorboards. The pucks helped a bit to spread the weight and prevented damage. Hockey pucks are great little devices for various types of lifting, floor jacks included.

My lift is also a 7000# Rotary and would easily handle a 911 in any position, but I like to stay on the side of added safety and peace of mind.

I hope this helps.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Here's a couple or images of a '57 Coupe on the lift. I was using grooved 2X4 blocks at this time before the hockey puck idea. These shots would likely help you more if they were from a lower angle.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Safely putting a 911 on a two post lift?

We put the front of the car with the short arms.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.