Thread: Nudge Bar Install

Nudge Bar Install

Well, I received my reproduction nudge bar that I bought from Bob Chase. Details to buy here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=33030

It was not as simple as I thought, but can be done quite easily with the right tools (step drill bit, drill press, clamps, flexible ruler). My car is a 72 and may not represent a SWB car.

1: Remove both bumperettes (3 allen head srews each)
    2: Remove rubber inserts (3 10mm nuts)
    3: Drill a 3/8 inch hole at the top of the slotted hole on each bumperette to accommodate the larger bolt. This should be done with a drill press with the bumperette secure to the base.
    4: Since the front bumperette does not have the same screw holes as the rear, a new 1/4 in hole is to be drilled. I installed the rubber insert at the bottom and marked the hole where the bolt touched, minus a little to account for the curvature.
    5: Install the nudge bar with the proper grommets and snug tight, not too tight or you can not make minor rotational adjustments.
    6: Install rubber inserts
    7: Install assembly and insert allen screws and snug tight.
    8: Replace Bumper caps.
    9: Polish chrome and enjoy.

Pros:
    Great looking piece at a fraction of the price of real one.
    Chrome was excellent
    Fit was perfect

Cons:
    Still a bit pricy for a part that has little useful purpose
    Not a simple bolt-on 15 minute job

Other items that should not reflect on Bob's part:
    Did not buy new rubber inserts (2nd hand cracked ones) and now I think I better since takes away from the bar.
    Front insert was not a great fit and still needs trimming in my opinion.

Here is a shot of the completed work. Please ignore how dirty the rest of the car is. Pollen is still out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

sweeet!
    and nice write up.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe