Thread: Chrome Masters

Chrome Masters

The below was about $350. Lisa and Darryl are outstanding people to deal with and I recommend them without reservations.

http://www.chromemasters.com/

26 3rd Avenue North Nashville, TN 37201
    Phone: (615) 256-9828
    Fax: (615) 256-9876
    E-mail:chromemasters@cs.com

It is impossible to photograph chrome.

My seat recliners are going next along with a near perfect set of SWB horn Grills (thanks Lars!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

What kind of condition do the gearshift lever and throttle/heater lever need to be in to be successfully refinished. Most of mine have some rust showing.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks for the reference. I need to send those exact parts off soon.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    What kind of condition do the gearshift lever and throttle/heater lever need to be in to be successfully refinished. Most of mine have some rust showing.
    Dave,

The better they start, the better they end up. My shift lever was probably fine to use as-is, it had a few dings in the shaft and the chrome had a dull patina. The patina I didn't mind, but the nicks and dings made it look rough.

If you send in a rusted piece it will take a lot more work to bring it back, and no matter how good the chrome shop is, nothing has the same definition, crisp edges and flatness of the original piece. That said, they did an incredible job with the pitted door handles I sent.

The rechroming process involves an acid dip to remove the surface plating, followed by grinding the pits, down to bare metal. The pits are then filled with lead and then the piece is copper plated, then nickel plated, with polishing in between each step. The chrome plate is the final coat, it can be thought of as the "sealer." I didn't know that the shine comes from the nickel, and the bluish dazzle is the chrome over the top.

The good thing about the above parts is that they are all widely available, so if your shift lever is badly rusted, it's easy enough to find one. You could even use one from a later car, although be mindful of the threaded/crush sleeve method for attaching the knob.

Thanks. Yes indeed the brilliance of chrome plating is in the nickel layer. The copper layer there is to give a good base to build the nickel layer on. The chrome itself is a thin layer and essentially transparent; it's purpose is to protect the nickel layer and preserve the brilliance. The chrome also tends to be somewhat porous, so waxing is important.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

This is Lars brother right? They do great work!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Lars brother? I don't know. They are in Nashville.

Here is a before photo I found. . . yikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm missing the horn grilles

just kidding, chrome looks amazing!
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration