Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel lightening

Flywheel lightening

I have a 'wanted' ad in the classified section for a 906-style lightweight flywheel.

As an alternative, can anyone recommend a machine shop in CA that could machine/lighten a std 215mm flywheel to duplicate a 906 one ?

For reference, this is what I want to end up with:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I have a friend who lightens BMW flywheels for me. It doesn't come cheap so I will occasionally source the aftermarket for an aluminum one. Makes the old beasts shift nicer and with a maximum of roughly 35-38 horsepower, everything is appreciated.
    Before I went off cutting one up I'd buy a new one. Who is going to know if it's a 906 or not?
    These guys offer a lot of options:

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/special/36/

Good luck,

Tom

PS: If the UK was the home of the Vincent you're telling me you cannot find a competent machine shop? Has the UK lost all of its talent?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Tom - the Patrick Motorsports lightened 901 flywheel is $673 & I can buy a brand new std 901 f/w in the US for $249 (cheaper than the UK).

I wondered if it might be cheaper to get a new std f/w & get it lightened over there before shipping it to the UK.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Good point. What sort of duty or VAT would be imposed?

Most of this work is done with a CNC mill for accuracy and less man hour involvement. The BMW flywheels I get are done this way.

I'd be inclined to ask them if they could offer a discount of some sort to make it more affordable to import. These things cannot be flying out the door.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have to ask is the benefit worth the risk? It looks cool but seems that on a steet car with all those holes just look like destruction waiting to happen.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Alan from Canford Classics does an RSR lightened flywheel. I think he posted them for sale here recently.
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

Hi Andy,

We could do that machining for you on a new item, or if you can wait we will be making these soon. We now have the tooling to cut the teeth on the fly wheel which was the delaying factor. The RSR style fly wheels we make are not suitable for the pre 69 cars as these early cars use a different clutch and flywheel.

Thanks

Alan

Here are a couple aftermarket options. Never used them, but they look interesting:

http://www.qscusa.com/flywheel1.html

http://aapistons.com/index.php?main_...products_id=91

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    I have a 'wanted' ad in the classified section for a 906-style lightweight flywheel.

As an alternative, can anyone recommend a machine shop in CA that could machine/lighten a std 215mm flywheel to duplicate a 906 one ?

For reference, this is what I want to end up with:
    Hey! That kinda looks like mine.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

And you are a shop in Southern California!
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425