Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Install a Smog Pump on my '68?

Should I Install a Smog Pump on my '68?

I'm restoring a '68 911 (non-'s'). it appears to have originally come with a smog pump.

should i even consider adding a smog pump to my restored car?

thank you.

mike shaver

I ran into the first owner of my 68--over 10 years ago now. As he was filling in details of the car (I had a small fire extinguisher screwed to the floor where you see those small holes), he pointed to the engine plate and said "That's where the air pump was...never ran right with it, so I took it off and threw it away."

I'm always surprised when I see one for sale...always throught they alll disappeared long ago.

Do you actually have one? I'd only worry about it if you show the car. I dont' know if you could put it on and leave it disconnected? Maybe someone could chime in since I'd kind of curious.
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera

I'd think

If you're going to be competing in PCA and such concours you need to. Otherwise, I'd forgetaboutit.

Here's an example. Not mine.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike if you go the route to reinstall the pump I have the correct engine tin and some other parts that I can bring up to Stoddard.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

There is actually quite a bit to it. Personally I'd get rid of whatever is remaining.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

i'm not much of a concourse guy

thanks, guys. your advice is really helpful.

i appreciate the guys who do their cars perfectly, but my personal preference is to drive and enjoy the car, rather than fret over the thing all of the time.

i'm not inclined to install the smog pump, but i felt better asking the people who know more than me, so i truly value and appreciate your input.

thank you very much, folks!

mike shaver

in case you want one for the future looks like there are a couple for sale on Pelican. No affiliation

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...umps-sale.html
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Those pumps look like the ones for the newer cars. Good luck finding an original '68 system.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

It would probably be a good idea to gather all the components to install it. Someone will NEED it at some point, and it will be worth the effort.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I looked at an all original sand beige '68 once, and it had the smog pump intact. The guy had just disconnected the drive belt and neatly tied it up.

Should have bought that car, it was like $11 grand back in 2002 or 2003....I didn't like the color.