Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 912 (aka an inexpensive way to have an early Porsche)

My 912 (aka an inexpensive way to have an early Porsche)

I was recently able to purchase a nice, clean '68 SWB 912 through a friend of mine. Considering the clean underside of the car, if it had been a '68 911, it probably would have been a $20k car. Because it's a 912, I paid considerably less.

I wasn't really even in the market for a car, but when I saw what a Plain-Jane it was (and it's condition), I was inspired to see what I could do to spice it up 'on the cheap'. My goal was to make the car fun to drive and cool to look at, for a sum that I could easily get out of.

Some horse-trading and a few bucks later I'm happy to say that I think that there's a lot to be said for these cars. Clean ones represent a tremendous value for new enthusiasts who may have a hard time convincing their significant other that they should spend what amounts to 'new Honda' money on a good, clean early 911. I'm not going to reiterate the performance differences, but I will say that aesthetically I think you can still have your cake and eat it too.

I retained all original parts in case a later owner would prefer it as stock, including a replacement license plate panel which the car would have received either way.

Edit: Sorry, see page 2 for the before and after pictures.

Cheers,
    -Mike

Congratulations, it looks great.

I really like 912s, one of them was my first Porsche and they drive really well. I actually think they make better daily drivers than 911s.

Enjoy
    Henry

Many people look down on the 912, because they just don't know any better, but I think they are a great car, as do lots of 356 owners; for whom the car was originally targeted to. Some even refer to them as a "356 D". Compared to a 2.0 911 the 912 is lighter and has better weight distribution, so they handle more predictably. They were not as fast as a new 2.0 911 , but they can be today. A 912 rebuilt with a 1720 big bore and a CD, exhaust and carb updates will exceed 130 hp, and be lighter than the six.

Have fun with your "new" car, congratulations
    Rob Abbott

Thanks Rob. If you recall I bought what is this car's 'spare' license plate panel from you at Hershey this year. It was orange....

Anyway it was nice meeting you and chatting in the parking lot afterwards.

-Mike

Mike........ Very Cool!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Nice Mike, look forward to seeing it.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

nice job, Mike, I love the seats and steering wheel, makes for a great look.

hope to see it soon.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

good job...here's mine

Dana Point : 2010
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Diggin' it Mike. Just the right amount of "mods." Any thoughts on re-installing the roof rack?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Mike, nice looking 912!
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478