Thread: Penske 911 GT3 Cup ST

Penske 911 GT3 Cup ST

A friend is at Rallye Deutschland this weekend and was surprised to see Timo Bernhard behind the wheel of a Porsche with Penske logos and a Penske service van chasing it around. It turns out that Penske Sportwagenzentrum in Germany has built a special 911 rally car for the DRM based on the GT3 Cup car - Penske calls it the GT3 Cup ST. Timo was entered in the national division of the WRC event and did not directly compete with the WRC boyz.

Penske Sportwagenzentrum Mannheim

I'm trying to find some stage times to compare with the WRC front-runners. I believe he would have won his class but had some sort of time penalty. This is an all-tarmac rally.

penske gt3rs kv_PresseMitteilung.jpg

ADAC Rally 2011 GT3.jpg

Where are the Penske logos?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

On the window banner it says PENSKE and something else I cannot see

My German comprehension ist nicht gut. This is the reference to the ST, but it is not clear to me.

>>>>Und das „ST“ in der Typenbezeichnung? Christian Loch: „Wir alle sind Rallye-Enthusiasten. Mit diesen Buchstaben erinnern wir an die ersten Elfer, die die Rallye Monte Carlo gewinnen konnten: ein S und ein T.“ <<<<

penske adac rallye ST.jpg

If you read the article the actual 'Team' is "Rallye Team 1975" (although I believe it is correctly: 75 Rallye Team) which is directed by Timo's father. Two friends wrench on the car (with one addtional mechanic from Porsche Mannheim). Penske is the sponsor . The rest of the team is made up of friends.

The team name comes from the year his father seems to have started hillclimbing & slaloming . I get the feeling his father probably is handy with a wrench also.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Penske is more than a sponsor, they built the car at their Mannheim shop. Timo's 'Rallye Team 75' manages the team.

Penske Sportwagenzentrum Motorsport Team

Penske GT3 Cup ST 01.jpg

Penske GT3 Cup ST 02.jpg

Nice shop facilities. Those people listed on that page are Penske Motorsports (Mannheim) people , listing many people from track related racing also. Here's the in the field rallye team. I was pulling info. from the write-up that goes with it . Except the rest of the team being made of of friends was actually from his 2009 season now that I read more closely (and 2010 season ? I think in a VW ?) :

http://www.porsche-mannheim.de/de/mo...lyeteam75.aspx

"
    Seine Mannschaft ist das neu gegründete „Rallye Team 75“. Der Name des Teams geht auf eine Jahreszahl zurück: Im Jahr 1975 begann Timos Vater Rüdiger, Slalom und Bergrennen zu fahren. Später war Rüdiger Bernhard stets als Timos Technik-Guru an der Seite des Sohnes: „Meinem Vater verdanke ich etliche Siege im Kart, dazu Siege in der Deutschen Formel Ford-Meisterschaft, durch die Porsche auf mich aufmerksam wurde.“ Jetzt fungiert Rüdiger Bernhard als Technikchef im „Rallye Team 75“. Zwei Freunde arbeiten als Schrauber, dazu ein Mehaniker des PZ Mannheim. Auf den Beifahrerseitz wird für den restlichen Lauf der Saison ein neues Teammitglied platz nehmen: Der aktuell bekannteste und erfolgreichste Beifahrer Deutschlands: Klaus Wicha.

Seit vier Jahren sammeln Timo und Marco Erfahrung bei nationalen Rallyes: „Mein Vater und ich haben ein Golf III Kitcar aufgebaut. Mit dem VW waren wir seit 2007 bei Eintagesveranstaltungen am Start. Ich konnte einige Male auf das Podium klettern und sogar zwei Gesamtsiege holen. Ab 2009 sind wir zusätzlich große Rallyes – Deutsche Rallye Meisterschaft, die ADAC Masters und die Deutsche Rallye Serie gefahren: Mehrtagesrallyes mit bis zu 150 WP-Kilometern. Natürlich mit meinem Vater als Techniker und einem Team aus Freunden.“ "

(If you look closely at the front corner of the passenger fender and the team jackets. You'll see they print out the name there '75 Rallye Team'. Also in the upper corner of the photo in post no. 1).
    Last edited by peekaboo; 08-22-2011 at 12:30 PM.

So how does a modified GT3 Cup car with 400HP stack up against the usual all-wheel-drive rally buzz-bombs? Maybe not quite as well as we'd like to think.

Here's some random stage times from Rallye Wartburg that Timo ran in earlier this year with the same car. Also a tarmac rallye. Some interesting results. Although there are many classes, these are straight-up times. Obviously, the Skoda is an ex-WRC car. The Ford Fiesta at the top of the charts is an S2000 (one notch below a WRC car). The Group N cars are also just a notch or so below a WRC car. Cool to see so many H (historic) class cars at the top too. Timo finished 4th overall.

Wartburg 2011 SS16.jpgWartburg 2011 SS12.jpgWartburg 2011 SS5.jpgWartburg 2011 SS8.jpgWartburg 2011 SS14.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 08-22-2011 at 12:53 PM.