Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Steal This Car . . .

Please Steal This Car . . .

. . . at Fantasy Junction . . .

2007 Kirkham Cobra 289 Replica
    s/n KC6FNLF0485 (Idaho issued VIN: 013771)
    Brushed Aluminum on Black Interior

. . . This particular car is a hybrid variation of the dominating FIA version of the mid 1960’s. Combining the sleek and sexy appearance of the original 289 FIA racing car but, in this case, sitting on the stronger and better handling 427 chassis. However, to go even one step better, this particular car has a unique stainless steel chassis rather than mild steel to ensure a durable rust free life. Since the 427 frame was built to handle an engine far heavier and more powerful than the small block, it handles likes a dream with a lightweight small block. The body is all aluminum (aircraft aluminum alloy) and was hand fabricated in an aircraft factory by craftsmen who learn their trade over generations, building fighter jet aircrafts for the former Soviet Union.

Kirkham produces the highest quality aluminum reproduction cars in existence today. They had, until recently, been supplying Shelby America with the aluminum body cars for their continuation CSX4000 (427) and CSX7000 (FIA) series which began production in 1996.

In addition to the all aluminum body, the floor panel, dash panel, rear bulkhead panel, firewall panel, engine compartment panel and trunk panels are all aluminum. In addition, this car’s hood scoop is integrally welded into the hood skin, and slightly enlarged to assist with cooling. This car has a unique brushed Aluminum finish, some 300 hours in the making. This cars raw Aluminum finish allows the car to be cleaned with any ammonia free glass cleaner and paper towel. The engine in this particular example is a Ford based 302 c.i. unit, highly correct in appearance to an original, topped with 4 two-barrel Weber carburetors. The engine is mated to a super smooth shifting, wide ratio 4 speed Top Loader transmission, fitted with a scatter shield. An engine oil cooler is also fitted. There is a fully independent suspension to both the front and rear, with Penske double adjustable shocks on all four corners. The front uprights and upper control arms are billet 6062 aluminum. The rear uprights are forged 7075 aircraft aluminum. These modifications result in a 20 pound reduction in upspring weight at each wheel; in fact the total weight of the car is approximately 2230lbs.

In addition to the stainless steel chassis, stainless steel has been used elsewhere in the vehicle. The brake hard lines are stainless steel and the brake flex lines are braided stainless steel. The main steering shaft is stainless steel as are the steering U-joints. The cockpit sports a gleaming plated steel roll bar. A 4 point harness secures the safety of the driver, while the passenger has a 3 inch lap belt.

The interior is accented with the engine turned and polished transmission tunnel and billet Krikham pedals, but is otherwise relatively original in appearance including vintage-look gauges, correct shift knob, and wood rimmed steering wheel. A fire extinguisher has been neatly fitted, and wing window assemblies are included, but not installed. As with the original FIA, the foot boxes and trunk floor are fiberglass. The exterior has quick jacks at the rear, replica Halibrand knockoffs with as new Yokohama 235/60R15 tires.

The general appearance of the car is that of a freshly finished and nearly new piece. There is once very small ding from within the left front wheel well, but the car is otherwise without significant cosmetic flaws. Performance is very brisk, yet the car remains very easy to drive at any speed. The car has been professionally assembled and maintained from day one, and enjoyed in fair weather only, as part of a significant collection. Included with the car are regular service notes for tuning and upkeep, as well as a helpful box of spares and extras.

This unique automobile is an extremely versatile model that can tear up the racetrack or be a mild mannered street cruiser. The car has only 2,266 miles, as it has only been to car shows and experienced local street driving. It will bring sheer joy to the potential owner, turn heads wherever it goes, and can accommodate any use the driver has in mind . . .

Asking $82.5k

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/....%208-Cylinder

(not mine)

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Fantasy Junction sold a similar AL bodied Kirkham about a year ago for ~40K more. The power plant in that car put out over 550 horse and the written description was clear that this car is for a mature driver which I translated to mean if given the chance it will kill you. That being said it looks like great fun.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    The body is all aluminum (aircraft aluminum alloy) and was hand fabricated in an aircraft factory by craftsmen who learn their trade over generations, building fighter jet aircraft for the former Soviet Union.
    Now that is interesting. I wonder how we could put them to work making parts for our favorite cars.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

You mean . . .

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    . . . Fantasy Junction sold a similar AL bodied Kirkham about a year ago for ~40K more. The power plant in that car put out over 550 horse and the written description was clear that this car is for a mature driver which I translated to mean if given the chance it will kill you . . .
    . . . like this? . . .

For Sale: 427S/C Cobra by Kirkham Motorsports. All aluminum (brushed coachwork, highly-polished stripes... these two premium coachwork options alone cost $9,994). The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: 482FE Pond engine, built by Keith Craft; this powerplant delivers a thundering 600 horsepower and 626 lbs./ft. of torque, fed through a Tremec 5-speed gearbox. It can cruise all day at 80–90 mph (or faster, if you have an Autobahn nearby). BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! My business partner purchased the car directly from Keith Craft in early 2008. As you can see evidenced by the limited mileage (under 300 miles), he's just too busy and not driving it. We estimate new/replacement cost at somewhere over $105,000. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! Other particulars: halon fire suppression system, billet aluminum coolant tank, billet aluminum distributor hold down, polished stainless sidepipes, Goodyear large letter ('Billboard') rubber. You'll encounter no unpleasant surprises—everything works correctly, and there are no dings, no dents, no curb rash on the tires, and the upholstery and the engine compartment show as-new. BIG luggage compartment shot: Click Here! The Kirkham certificate of origin lists the it as a 1965 427-KMC/SC, and it's currently titled in Montana as 1965 Kirkham. $89,995 obo. Contact Danny at (803) 920-2941 EDT (cell), or email: burn4@wctel.net
    Columbia, South Carolina
    5 October/January

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrasforsale-cobras.html

Really? . . . 300 miles in 3 years?

My guess is that driving something like this must be about as much fun as a getting launched on a catapult . . . naked.

(I'm in!)

And at that price-point . . . kinda puts those 'performance' and 'restoration' projects into perspective, huh?

Rick

PS And why is it that Owners of these amazing cars seem to go out of their way to make 'em so crappy-looking? . . . Ten-grand to polish the bodywork! --- is Elvis in the room? . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Now that is interesting. I wonder how we could put them to work making parts for our favorite cars.
    Group buy for alloy lids, fenders and doors anyone? Who's up for a trip to Poland?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Make Mine Black . . .

. . . hold the stripes . . .

. . . and the roll bars . . .

. . . and the side-pipes . . .

. . . and anything shiny/chromy/kinda bright . . .

R

We Can Be Heroes

I did some laps in a friends 427-the real deal-at Continental Divide Raceways a looooong time ago.The only thing I can compare it to is a cat-shot from a big deck CVA which I have also done.you are sitting on the frigin` gound to start with and with side pipes in my left ear,it is unrivaled for a two seater.These have come way down in price and there are some in a carbon fiber dress that would be the envy of Werner Von Braun! I like the GY eagles on the one above and I would keep the rollbar.I like my hair on my head the way it is.
    Last edited by tfmcmahon; 11-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Member:S Registry #864

member #1515
    I agree those are really sexy looking cars BUT. If you have ever driven one they are really uncomfortable, the windshield frame is in your line of sight, the shift knob is awkwardly positioned, the steering wheel is too close etc.. The power is enormous. I have the utmost respect for those that drove these in competition.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    . . . sexy looking cars BUT . . . really uncomfortable . . . windshield frame is in your line of sight, the shift knob is awkwardly positioned, the steering wheel is too close etc. . . .
    Dave --- you're right . . . you talked me into it.

Ditch the 'shield, too.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Geeez you guys! What is this stuff about being uncomfortable.This is the "S" Registry isn`t it? For a second I thought I was on the Maybach Club.com site.It`s a frigin sports car. Who said anything about being cozy and warm.Fire it up and drive it! Testosterone on a key!
    Member:S Registry #864