Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sorta New '83 GTi . . .

A Sorta New '83 GTi . . .

Curt's thread . . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-New-84-VW-GTi

. . . . reminded me of this car.

As seen at The Ventura Show . . . few years back . . .

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-03-2011 at 04:02 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I had one of those I bought used with 300 miles/ 2 months old in 83. Drove it for 5 yrs 60k miles other than oil change and coolant change it was better than a Honda. Original tires and brakes were 50% plus when I sold it ! Great car.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I'd love to find an unmolested GTi like that. I had a couple of friends who had them back when they were new. Now I've got a new appreciation for the cars after the rally. The performance was just unbelievable really and we found out why the car is an automotive icon.

I love these cars.....

I bought a new one back in '84 when I was still in college....silver on red. The first thing I did was install massive above bumper Bosch driving lights....7", under bumper fogs, a rear fog light, a front bra, tinted out all the windows and installed an a** kicking blaupunkt stereo that had a zillion watts.....typical stuff a 21 year old would do back in the day. I kept it for two years before selling it to fund a '68L that I was restoring. I ended up selling the car to (of all people) my Mom! She absolutely cherished that car for the 12 years that she owned it.....it was a real Sunday driver / garage queen. She sold the car with less than 60K miles on it for something like $3,500.00....it was 100% original. I kick myself for not buying it back......oh well.
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

I'd bought a 320i a few years before, had heard/read about the GTi . . . so when the car got here, took me a Test Drive.

Dealer was down by the beach --- Redondo/Manhattan/something-or-another. Quiet week-end, sunny day.

Sales Guy pops out, greets me, smiles . . . . 'Test drive? Ooooooooh yeah --- let's GO!!!!'

Felt like we robbed a bank. Sales Guy jumps over the sidewalk/cub leaving, Smokey-and-the-Bandit-style, tears into traffic, howls down a couple 'o blocks --- J-turns into residential side-street ------ then accelerates.

Maniac. (And My Hero.)

Old crowned streets, so we pogo through/over a coupla deeper gutters, tires loading/un-loading, scenery blurring, engine winding. . . . then Sales Guy says ---- 'watch THIS!!!'

I look over --- Sales Guy lets (f*ck!ng) go o' the steering wheel, sticks BOTH his hands through the sunroof ----------- NAILS the brakes. Car stops, like, NOW. I, however, do not --- pitched forward so hard my head almost hit the windshield.

(Been my model for Test Drives, ever since.)

All I could think goin' home was . . . . Shoulda bought a GTi.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-16-2011 at 07:41 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    I'd bought a 320i a few years before, had heard/read about the GTi . . . so when the car got here, took me a Test Drive.

Dealer was down by the beach --- Redondo/Manhattan/something-or-another. Quiet week-end, sunny day.

Sales Guy pops out, greets me, smiles . . . . 'Test drive? Ooooooooh yeah --- let's GO!!!!'

Felt like we robbed a bank. Sales Guy jumps over the sidewalk/cub leaving, Smokey-and-the-Bandit-style, tears into traffic, howls down a couple 'o blocks --- J-turns into residential side-street ------ then accelerates.

Maniac. (And My Hero.)

Old crowned streets, so we pogo through/over a coupla deeper gutters, tires loading/un-loading, scenery blurring, engine winding. . . . then Sales Guy says ---- 'watch THIS!!!'

I look over --- Sales Guy lets (f*ck!ng) go o' the steering wheel, sticks BOTH his hands through the sunroof ----------- NAILS the brakes. Car stops, like, NOW. I, however, do not --- pitched forward so hard my head almost hit the windshield.

(Been my model for Test Drives, ever since.)

All I could think goin' home was . . . . Shoulda bought a GTi.

Rick
    That might just be THE BEST test-drive story I've ever heard ... EVER!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Another surfaces.

eBay: 1984 VW Rabbit GTi $8900

vw.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

saw this at my lumber supplier

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3226-1.jpg
    Last edited by Reza; 11-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Took my brother down to the Twin Cities in the spring of 84 where they had no less than 20 of these on closeout. We walked the lot, he picked out a Silver one , burgundy interior, with no air and a Sunroof, he paid cash and I believe he paid somewhere around 8300 bucks closeout on it. Had 4 miles on the odo.

What a RORTY little bugger. Just gets up and romps on command. A true joy to drive.

Oh yeah, he still has it and shows it at all the local VW car shows. I'm amazed when some of the attendees, do NOT even know VW built one of these.
    Just rolled over 40,000 miles. If he ever sells, has promised to sell it to me..........but that will never happen. I just roll my eyes when I think I coulda bought one this cheap back then and if you amortize it out......what did it cost you ??? Pennies.
    Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 01-14-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: errors
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

912->911 conversion
    This one on BaT really does it for me - not sure about the chromy bits, but the rest - hubba hubba
    http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/11/...vw-rabbit-16v/

4017655656_0fb5178c1a_o by Bring A Trailer, on Flickr
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe