Thread: 75 Targa Carrera- a father/daughter project

75 Targa Carrera- a father/daughter project

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, besides helping my dad, KJ, post a photo here and there. I, however, am not new to Porsches as I've been around them since I was in my mother's womb. Pretty amazing Porsches no less. You might even say I'm quite spoiled!

I recently became the owner of a 1975 white/black Targa Carrera! I purchased the car from Rodger Hawley about 5 months ago. The previous, and original, owner is a woman who worked for Hanna-Barbera Productions for 20+ years. I didn't know what Hanna-Barbera was until my dad told me which prompted a google search and revelation that I had watched plenty of their cartoons.

We have the tradition of naming our cars so my dad suggested I name the car something to do with Hanna-Barbera. Cut to more google and wikipedia searching until I came across the cartoon named The Perils of Penelope Pitstop! Clearly I had found what I was looking for. Penelope Pitstop is the perfect name for her!

I've been around Porsches my entire life, but I wouldn't say I know much about their inner workings. Okay, I don't know anything at all really. When I was growing up I used to be the one hovering over my dad asking, "what's that thing do?", "what's that for?", "show me this", "show me that". I tried, but he didn't want his little girl to grow up and become a 'grease monkey' like him. I think I can probably speak for everyone here when I say that a lot of people would LOVE to be a 'grease monkey' like him!

While I was interested in how to build an engine my brother was mostly interested in sitting in the cars, pretending to race them, and speeding around the parking lot on his bike, go cart, ect. We all know how that panned out and if you don't you can check him out here: Gunnar Jeannette

Twenty years later and he is finally going to teach me some stuff! When I found out that we were going to get to work on this project together I was floored! I probably appreciate his abilities more than anyone else because I get to see what he creates on a daily basis. Are you all jealous yet??

We will hopefully get started on her soon. Things have been a bit crazy here, but now that Rennsport has come and gone he has a little more time on his hands. I'm going to document the restoration meticulously and I'll be posting updates on our website (My apologies for the lack of updates lately. Things should be picking up soon!). There will be plenty of photos and hopefully a few videos here and there. My dad is trying to talk me into getting in front of the camera, but I'm too shy and prefer to be behind it. My brother got the "ham" gene, not me.

Here she is in all her glory!
    Penelope-1.jpgpenelope-2.jpgPenelope-3.jpg
    Last edited by PenelopePitstop; 11-17-2011 at 12:15 PM.

I'm reluctant to admit I remember watching that show as a kid Looking forward to progress updates ...

you've got a great mentor, I've quite certain this will be a great project, you will have many admirers around here.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Welcome. I think at least one photo is mandatory in our "What the heck do you look like?" thread.
    I agree that you have a great mentor, and sibling, so it will be interesting to follow your progress.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Welcome Penelope

Be careful if that partner of yours says, "let's just do a scuff and a puff" because you may end up in the Parade Concours next year...or maybe the year after....or possibly the one after that. You need to do your photo and video magic to keep us all up to date on the progress. BTW..if you can't come up a photo of you, I think I have some from the grid at the 2010 Petit.
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board........ you're part of a great crew down there kiddo....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

all about genetics......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Ohhh, this is gonna be good, another "car chick" Father / daughter time together is always special!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.