Thread: December 8: The Day The Music Died

December 8: The Day The Music Died

Yes, this is the fateful day. Candlelight vigils are in progress around the world by the true believers. This is the day real music came to an untimely and sudden halt. The day, 25 years ago, when the FIA called a meeting to ban Group B rally cars (you didn't actually think this was about John Lennon did you? ).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0sJVZO9xUB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

there's something about the word 'GRUPPE B' that gives me a warm glowing feeling in winter.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Drove my Audi
    to the rally
    through the air it would fly.

Them good old days
    were thrillin'; a sight.

Singin' this 'ill be the day that I die...
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

That's pretty good for an amateur

Yeah, considering I made it up on the spot in a minute or so. That's what I think of when I hear the day the music died, not John Lennon.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    not John Lennon.
    Yeah - February 3, 1959 to be more precise. Buddy Holley, Ritchie Valens, and J. P, Richardson (alias "The Big Bopper") -

But I do miss Gruppe - B rally cars too.

I guess as one gets older, one misses more and more things that used to be.

johnt

What a great video clip Curt! Rally drivers of that caliber have got to be more awesome drivers than even F1 guys. I also like, how in lawyerless societies, the spectators are nice enough to use their bodies to mark the course boundaries for the drivers. What dedication!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Man those spectators remind me of the running of the bulls.

Hey Curt, just picked up the latest issue of Total 911 congrats on the "Grey Wolf" article.
    Rob Abbott

They used to cancel stages quite frequently due to 'crowd control'. How much worse could those have been from the ones they did run?!

Still haven't seen the magazine. I'll have to check B&N today.

I also like, how in lawyerless societies, the spectators are nice enough to use their bodies to mark the course boundaries for the drivers. What dedication!!
    On the Mille and Targa, drivers watched for large clusters of spectators as they marked a particularly difficult or dangerous curve.

johnt