Thread: Rob's Rat Rod

Rob's Rat Rod

I saw Rob's new, and very cool, long hood ride on the weekend - in all its Californian sun baked Rat Rod glory.

I hope this will prompt Rob to share some pics with the faithful.

My current incapacitation prevented me from a drive, but I can say that it sounds great.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

After a year of procrastinating, dicking Wayne around and searching for a RHD car at a reasonable price, I decided to take the plunge and buy a LHD car to use as a fun road driven rat rod. Enter the what used to be Burgundy (and now is half very faded burgundy and half surface rust) 1971 E, direct from baking in the California sun for 40 odd years. The car was imported into Australia 18 months ago, but was not started since then.

The body and what is left of the paint is mostly original, pretty much dead straight with good panel gaps, all the orignal trim and apart from the surface rust on the body and in the battery boxes is pretty much rust free.

The interior, apart from being turned into a mobile disco with 11 speakers including a tweeter fixed to the glove box lid!! is all pretty good and fairly original.. Have managed to get rid of 6 speakers and the radio so far.

Suspension all seems fairly good and possibly uprated as it is definitely stiffer than standard. Has front and rear original sway bars and a bit of a contraption of a strut brace.

Mechanically so far there have been no surprises. Original motor with as new PMO's (original MFI in a box to be swapped in later??), SSI's and great shifting 901 box with modified 915 shift tower - anyone know how this was achieved? Drives and sounds great.

So far the biggest surprise has been driving a LHD car on the road - I have found it no issue whatsover even without a passenger mirror and in fact quite enjoy it.

Anyone have a used classic type seat that would suit the car for sale?

Rob20121210_165148.jpg20121210_165215.jpg20121210_165952.jpg20121210_165414.jpg

Über cool Rob. Well bought.
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)

And 'that' steering wheel was also gone by the time I saw it...

Ps. I think the shifter has just had the top plate removed, rotated 180 degrees, then reinstalled.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Looks like a fun project Rob!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

welcome Rob
    and to the LHD club

.. and don't bother with the passenger mirror ... (like many others) mine is totally useless and never glanced at - will take it off when i respray it !!

great looking car - enjoy !!
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Well done Rob, looks like a great base for an Sb project.