Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Car Racing Thread

Historic Car Racing Thread

Okay, in the vein of the Sb Thread in which I think we've got eligibility nailed down; I'd love to get this one cranking with the building, logbooking and development of a car to run Historic Group S (and Group N).

Not asking for "secrets and intimacies" on specific cars (Lord knows what trouble that could lead to ), but I'm really keen to hear experiences on getting a car logbooked with CAMS and what you've learned so that the rest of us may avoid pitfalls - and what you'd change or do again if you could. The obvious first place to start is with the CAMS manual and website, but I'm sure you racing guys have learned a thing or two not covered in the manual. Mr Begg, I know you've had some fun... write about it

(After Brian Taylor's monumental roll-over in 2012), I'm really interested to hear about ROPS/cage builds and costs, suspension preferences, tyres, and potential changes to rules and eligibility etc... as they come up.

Thanks for anything shared.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

CAMS logbook is pretty straight forward.

Get cage done the cage builder should be able to help you fill in CAMS cage form and send that in.
    Leave car pretty much standard, just ignition cutoff and fire extinguisher etc... then get eligibility officer to sign it, then a CAMS scrutineer to sign the safety bits.

once logbook arrives ask RC about all the sneaky unobtainium upgrades and away you go

John,

The good news is that there is not too much to do different to normal.

The new cage requirements require a more sophisticated and safer cage - good thing - get that done by someone who is authorised.

Suspension has to be stock so you can put big torsion bars in (biggest you can) and sways (up to you). But not through body or adjustables allowed.

Shocks - Koni or Bilsteins - take your preferred pic.

Engine - S or 906 stuff work. Electronic ignition is good.

Brakes, standards with good pads on my car - easy!

Tyres - take you pic from the list! Generally Yoko Advans OR Bridgestone RE55S are best.

Box - LSD and ratios allowed.

Can have fibreglass bumpers front and rear - mine are steel.

Plexi windows allowed - need window widers though.

Fuel cell allowed

done!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Excellent Alex, Ta.

I recall AB had some issues with his cage install I'm keen to hear about.

What are the rules on other lighter bits such as "911R" type tail lights and polycarbonate front lenses? And I'm presuming the interior and passenger seat must remain also... No problem removing body deadners/horse hair, carpets etc...? Also, does the car need road registration as a part of being in Group S? I noticed pretty much all of you had your cars registered even though they were trailered.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

> What are the rules on other lighter bits such as "911R" type tail lights and polycarbonate front lenses?

Likely not allowed, especialy if they look non stock.

> And I'm presuming the interior and passenger seat must remain also...

Must have a passenger seat, most just fit a simple bucket and spend the money on a really good race seat for the driver. Tip: go to some race shops and sit in as many seats as you can - you will know the right one when you sit in it. Also, try them without the base pads (most are cut to suit sedans).

> No problem removing body deadners/horse hair, carpets etc...?

Sound deadener can go. Floor carpets can go, but the car must otherwise be trimmed. Most run RS style carpet kits in back. Some keep rear seat pads some don't.

> Also, does the car need road registration as a part of being in Group S? I noticed pretty much all of you had your cars registered even though they were trailered.

Nope, either is ok.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I can't add to much other than to say that it looks like I'm the new pit 'Bitch' for PI next year......

That'sll give you enough time I reckon John?!

We will of course expect to see lots of photos of the new project.

Better get a wriggle on finishing off the blue car then!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

No Cam I think it'll be a bit longer a journey...

I have to build and shakedown, and somewhere find time to get a circuit licence etc... Not to mention keeping within a budget
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    Electronic ignition is good.
    (iii) Ignition advance shall be restricted to mechanical actuation within the distributor
    No electronic mapped advance is allowed.

So only the simplest of point replacement stuff.

Good thread John.

Lots of useful info...
    John
    1970 911T
    2.4E-915
    Early 911S Registry #1198

John

My comments relate specifically to a Group S car.

Probably the most difficult part of the process is sourcing the right car at the right price.
    First decision is LHD, RHD or it does not matter if the car is right.
    Next decision is whether the car has the correct motor and gearbox that can be run for a while before rebuilding/upgrading or whether a rebuilt race motor and gearbox are on the menu from the beginning. It is important to bear in mind that the car must run the correct induction, so a T must run Webers and an E or S must run MFI (based on chassis numbers)
    Next up is the body work - needs to be all stock save for the front and rear bumper bars which can be fibreglass but no S or RS look front bumpers.
    Roll cage is up to you to weigh up weight vs safety vs cost. Ridiculously I am led to believe that you can still log a 5th category historic car with a half roll cage ??
    The rest is easy for one with your skills:
    Cut off switch, race seat and harness are pretty much all else that is compulsory.
    From there on it is all the can do's such as suspension upgrades ,interior lightening, plexiglass rear and side windows e.t.c

As Hung says, the log booking process is pretty simple.

Rob