Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The other end ...

The other end ...

Having the car away for weeks is expensive. I tend to find time to order new parts. This time I am thinking about a sports muffler. I currently have on the '68N the standard 2 in, 1 out muffler. I see that PP has the Dansk Sports version of the same configuration. Has anyone had experience with this on a 2.0L? Are there local alternatives that are suitable?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Merv

I have a stainless steel Penrith City Exhausts "special" which is what I run on the race car, as does Ryan on his race car. It doesn't sound very exotic by name, but has the right characterises, mixing and back pressure. To top it off it has an extraordinary sound up high and is very quiet down low. A similar muffler is used on about 3/4 of the 'Group S' field on the 2.7's and 3.0's. They are hand made along with extractors. They guy is a bit of a perfectionist and has been building bespoke exhaust systems for rally cars for years. He also builds roll cages. Cost I think was about $1600 isn

I think someone here has had the Dansk Sports, I can remember who, sorry. PS Shipping wont be cheap either they weigh a ton.
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Mark Poole Motorsport in Adelaide generally has new mufflers on hand for early cars, I recently bought a replacement for the '72E in stainless for about $800.
    P.S. looked like a Dansk but can't say for sure that it was.

Thanks Andrew. That sounds a really nice muffler. I am thinking street only on my 2.0L. The 'aluminiumised 'Dansk is $503, 23lbs and $50 freight from PP. However I have no idea if they work well and sound reasonable. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2533%2529%2520

Thanks also Chris - I will give them a call.
    Last edited by Merv; 08-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

merv
    i have the dansk sport on my car - and had it ceramic coated
    mine is a 2.7 with all the S bits except the pump cam which is RS and the cams which are E so we thought that with the bigger exhaust it would work better

it probably does........ a bit.....but required reconfiguring the MFI settings (not a problem with your car) and is quite loud. In hindsight i would probably have been better with the stock exhaust for 90% of the time and probably should have gone that way. I have heard that the early Leistritz ones are the best bet (my old one was a Leistritz but it was worn out so i wonder how much of the "disapointment" with the sport one is a Dansk V Leistritz thing or normal v sport ) but have no direct comparison experience with the regular Dansk
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Yes Hugh, 'loud' is a subjective thing. Unless it is for the MOT/equivalent inspector. On my Cobra I had a system fabricated and then all ceramic coated from the headers. It was terrific with the Ford V8 and the noise level just squeaked in under the limit at 3k rpm. Above that was another matter. So with the little 2.0L the thing is about the sound in the main and I just feel that the stock muffler sounds a bit lame. Will check out the Leistritz. I do see a SS one for sale for the 65-69 in NZ for $1200. I did want to stay with the 2in-1 out format.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Merv,

Have you thought about doing the rally 911r style conversion on yours. There are plenty of threads on it on pelican.

Split it open, remove some internals, weld on two outlets.

As I say plenty of threads and might work for what you want
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)

I did look at those Tim. I have no idea how they sound however. The reports on the Dansk 2-1 are generally pretty good. Would be nice to hear a Utube sample (that wasn't idling in a garage ..)
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

The issue of exhaust noise is so subjective

I've had a few variants from stock to Mille Miglia to Dansk Rallye. I've also been in 911s with straight pipes, hotdogs, and Ansa. So much is about how the car is developed... if you remove the sound deadner, engine pad and add solid or semi-solid mounts; you change how the car sounds inside. I can tell you for sure that you don't want a 'drone' at cruising revs and it seems that different cars and engines all cause resonation at different points in the rev range. You often simply have to "experiment" to find one that suits you and your car.

The nice thing with the "Rallye" style (whether bought or made) is you can cap pipes or increase/decrease diameters/lengths on pipes to provide the right back pressure to suit.

The Mille Miglia has probably been the nicest muffler I've run, but it is a bit ugly in that it doesn't look factory...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I've always liked the Abarth - but Justin won't sell me his...

I've had a stocker modded to two central pipes before, pretty loud but not too crazy. Cool "ripping paper" noise up top.

I'm pretty sure my old 2.4 targa had a s/s dansk sport - sounded great, only a little louder than stock.
    Last edited by obrut; 08-17-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus