Thread: SWB electrics ... again

SWB electrics ... again

I have been doing some reading around this topic. It seems that the 1968 model was not made with too many relays. As I have been rewiring my headlamps, horns and fog lamps lately with original colour wires, I have been thinking about the relative lack of relays and also what to do with the 'new' driving' lamps. I have read most of the Early 911 threads and I was wondering if anyone has a preferred wiring schematic or similar for driving lights (not below the bumper fog lights) on an SWB? For these, I could go the more common route via the high beam switch/fuse adding a relay and even a cut off switch. If I do that, should I add any more relays for the headlights while I am at it?

Or, I could leave well enough alone and run a separate/new circuit for the driving lights, with an under the dash switch, with its own relay and fuse (or even via the #3 location, as that is for a non-existent heater)?
    Last edited by Merv; 10-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Merv, my late dad was a Brit and Italian car/bike guy; and a savant with Lucas - Prince of Darkness electrics... He was usually the only bloke in his car club home on time after a ride/drive in the wet and he could go to the shops after dark!

Anyway he reckoned that there was a time when relays were quite expensive to make and car manufacturers 'skipped' them by using other failure points like fuses and reed switches. Then all of a sudden cheap transistors were developed and made available (thanks Japan), and relays became common items. His point to me was that wherever you can use a relay - do so. Unless pure originality is important, there is usually a way to hide a relay in a circuit and the benefits are clear.

For my 69 I have added relays on low-beam, high-beam, and driving lights. You can even get fused relays to reduce the complexity of the wiring. I will be repeating the process on my 68 car
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I am thinking I will go the same way John. That is, the driving lights will be separately wired with a push/pull switch (as was originally available) under the dash pad under the headlight switch, and appropriately rated wiring and a relay. Relays on the headlights (Hi/Lo) also in the smugglers box.

I now have a problem with my tacho however! Will be checking the connections first and those to the MSD ... grrrr
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    I am thinking I will go the same way John. That is, the driving lights will be separately wired with a push/pull switch (as was originally available) under the dash pad under the headlight switch, and appropriately rated wiring and a relay. Relays on the headlights (Hi/Lo) also in the smugglers box.

I now have a problem with my tacho however! Will be checking the connections first and those to the MSD ... grrrr
    My green car Hilda, is the first LHD I've had so I'm looking forward to utilising the space in the smuggler box

Not all tachos will work with CDI/MSD. I can thoroughly recommend sending your tacho (indeed all guages) to Nth Hollywood Speedometer. A part from the beautiful work they do restoring the guages to perfection, they install a chip inside the tacho that ensures it's compatible with all CDI systems including MSD and Crane.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Restoration newbie.
    Or just get a Tach-Adapt, also available at Pelican. It can be jumpered to give you a high or low voltage signal at the tachometer and has dip switches to convert the input signal to a different rate, so you can use a 912 tacho with a 911 engine for instance.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks John and Andy. Given that the tach worked fine before I put the new fuel pump in last weekend, I suspected an ineffective earth. Have redone the earth wiring around the engine compartment module and the tach seems to be back. Will check later on the road. The Tach-Adapt sounds a useful device.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Tach problem was indeed a faulty ground after I fitted rubber shock fittings to the new "Bendix"/Facet starter and while I was at it I re-did all the ground wires, from to back under the car an in the front hood. Starter now is brilliant as well. Fog lights all operational with a switch under the dash to engage them via the HB. All heavy duty wiring, well integrated with a nice relay. Still trying to track down nice light stone covers for the Carellos. Rare as ...
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    Tach problem was indeed a faulty ground after I fitted rubber shock fittings to the new "Bendix"/Facet starter and while I was at it I re-did all the ground wires, from to back under the car an in the front hood. Starter now is brilliant as well. Fog lights all operational with a switch under the dash to engage them via the HB. All heavy duty wiring, well integrated with a nice relay. Still trying to track down nice light stone covers for the Carellos. Rare as ...
    merv,

try these guys lots of NOS Italian stuff

http://reoriginals.com/foglightround...th-l0392x.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Thanks Craig. I had actually given up and tomorrow I was going over to a place at Landsborough (very near me), that makes clear acrylic covers to order. Australian Spotlight Protection http://www.spotlightprotection.com.au

I went over and they made made a set in 30 minutes for $30 the pair. They have hundred of moulds for all different kinds of lights. They fit nicely and I don't have to take them off except for cleaning.

IMG_1536.jpg

They don't look as cool as the Carello originals/repros, however, but at least I am no longer worried about stones!
    Last edited by Merv; 11-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars: