Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gas out the tail pipe...mormal?

gas out the tail pipe...mormal?

I had my injectors checked / fixed as on of my pistons was really black. The injector guy said one injector was dripping which explains it.

He cleaned it and fixed it. However, when my car is cold there is definitly a little gas that sprays out the tail pipe and can be seen on the ground just behind the exhaust. I initilly thought this could be from the cold start process but want to ask the group if this is normal or if the injector is likely leaking again. Idle is not as smooth as I would like as well.

Thanks,

Chris
    73 911 E MFI

Are you sure it's gas and not condensation?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

I have been tempted to put a match to it but the risks outwieigh the bennefits ;-) I am assuming it is gas as it seems to jibe with my "dripping" injector. I ordered a new injector but dont remember wihch injector he said was bad (was #6 but not sure I put them back in the same order). I plan on pulling the plugs and taking a look inside the comubstion chambers to see if a piston is blacker than the others.

Chris
    73 911 E

Just rub the liquid between your fingers. You should be able to feel/smell if it is gas.

/Johan

send your injectors to Mark Jung to have him test them (or you could send to Gus but he has a long backlog) and that will tell you whether the pattern is OK. Replace (with used, good injectors) the defective ones and away you go.

I would not drive the car like that as raw gas will wash all the lubricant out of that cylinder leading to catastrophe
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I sent them out to MFIwerks and had them tested. They all tested OK but one dripped (as well as sprayed). He fixed it but I suspect it reverted.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    I have been tempted to put a match to it but the risks outwieigh the bennefits ;-) I am assuming it is gas as it seems to jibe with my "dripping" injector. I ordered a new injector but dont remember wihch injector he said was bad (was #6 but not sure I put them back in the same order). I plan on pulling the plugs and taking a look inside the comubstion chambers to see if a piston is blacker than the others.

Chris
    73 911 E
    LOL, I hear ya. I would think it would be smoking black like crazy before it would be spitting raw fuel out.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

injectores

I sometimes hear on different threads that someone got an injector fixed. However the injectors we use cannot be taken apart as far as I know. You can pump solvent through them with the factory test setup ( I have one ) and maybe get it to work, but that is all. Am I missing something?

Mike
    Mike

Firstly confirm that it is not condensation. If you don't see black smoke I don't see how you can be getting liquid, unburned fuel out the exhaust if the engine has actually caught. If you are just cranking and not starting then it is possible.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I've seen a car with bent valves (missed shift) that still ran but smoked like it was a water cooled car with a blown head gasket. It was the unburned fuel charge for the affected cylinders.
    Heck of a thing to see.

These thing can "make oil" as John stated. Washing cylinders and filling the case with gas is an expensive proposition.

Good luck.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111