Thread: 1967 softie

1967 softie

Hi
    I Am still trying to figure out what this is, My father Purchased the car in 1989 got it home pans were to rusty to drive the car. Father was pissed that I talked him into it. It has been sitting in the garage every since. I got interested again after tying to sell a wrecked 67 912 that I have hade for years. So I requested a COA on it. The car has a Ca title on it that is 1967 911s targa. When doing the COA and researching the vin the vin comes back Non s 500100.
    Through further research the car has engine 900064 which is evidentially a prototype engine it is case type 901/02 an S engine this is the engine # verified on the coa. So I continue to dig, vented rotors, gasoline heater, gold badges on rear deck lid stating s, I know easy to change. dash is aluminum not composite with just standard 911 insignia. Leather steering wheel. I just talked to the previous owner, still in the same town same house, car had fuchs that he removed to do an 80s update. He also said the car seem unusually fast to him. If the engine did not come back on the coa as 900064 then I would think someone did some changes to turn it into an s. I am starting to think the factory built an s on a non s chassis, what other non visible performance upgrades can I look for. All vins found so far are 500100. Manufacture completion date on the car is 12/07/1966 the only option shown on the car is Kieber Colombes Tires. It was light Ivory with red leatherette. Is there any reason that in 67 this would have been built an S on a non S Chassis?

Thanks
    Bret

Hi Bret,

The chassis for both the normal and the model "S" are the same - no structural or metal stamping differences. Their serial numbers were from a single sequence - the "S"
    were added during the stampings as the cars presented themselves - that's why it took 30 years to verify how many 911S were made. It took a diligent author - Bruce Anderson - to get his friend at the factory to hand verify the numbers for the Coupe and Targas by doing a hand search, looking at every file they had for the 1966/1967 production.

There are only a few items that the 911S has that are not bolt on's. Look at the rear suspension and verify if it has the rear anti roll bar pin mounts as part of the banana arms, and the bars support plates welded to the wheel house?

Other changeable items were:

Check the rpm redline on tach 7200 or 6800?

Vented calipers both front and back?

Koni front struts? They neck in at the bottom 3" - Boge are straight tube down to the ball joint mount.

Interior trim has the aluminum ornamental trim line at the door and rear quarter window garnish. Interior Door handle has the chrome end cap. Dash Pull switch escutcheons are chrome. Basket weave vinyl dash trim.

Most of the other parts unique to the S are the engine and its internal parts.
    The 901-0 engines started with the number "90". The "S" 901-02 starts with "96".
    Share the four digit sequence number under the stamped type number with Dave Patemen. He might be able to put a date on when the engine was assembled.
    (By the way - the first engine at 160 hp was already put in a car back in January 1965 for use in a rally, but no mention if they called it a prototype "S").

Verify if the Webers have the S stamp on them.

That July 12, 1966 is a nice early manufacture date. If the COA and the kardex both say it's a "S", the engine is a 901-02 in spite of the serial number and it has the welded on parts, there is no red flags that it's not an "S". Needless to say a very early S, Soft window Targa - no matter what current condition it's in - NEEDS to be restored.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

As asked on the other thread back in September, post photos of the serial number stamped next to the gas tank, the serial number stamped on the paint code tag in the drivers door jamb, the body serial number stamped in the dash just below the radio (remove the dash lower trim), And the stamped aluminum plate in the trunk - the first box in the upper left of the plate "Typ".

That's four opportunities to verify what the car was made as.

Engine serial number (below and right of the fan) Type number and the four digit sequence number (just to the right of the engine serial number).

Post the photos.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Hi
    Bob thank you for the response I have been working on getting the car into a position to be able to take good pictures. Yes it has the S tach, vented rotors, leather wheel, I will be able to get under it soon to check for the sway bar mounts.
    Thanks Bret