Thread: How large is your tank?

How large is your tank?

When I run out of gas I can barely get 14 gallons, which is a little under 53 liters, into the tank. What's going on here. I've always read that this tank should be 62 liters, which is a bit over 16 gallons. I've run out or almost run out of gas a few times and I will say 13 and three 1/4 gallons is constitantly the end of the road. Thoughts? Thank you.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

I wonder the same thing, and it's made worse by the fact that there is no anti-spill flap in the filler neck, which means you're constantly trying to fill to the maximum with the nozzle turned backwards and at the same time not spray gas all over the place. I usually end up filling up the rubber boot with gas which runs into the tube and onto the ground.

"The fuel tank is located in the front luggage compartment and has a capacity of 62 liters (16.4 US gal) including reserve of 6 liters (1.6 Us gal)." -FWM

16.4 - 1.6 = 14.8 gallons once the red light comes on.

Only thing I can think of is that the temperature of the fuel makes a difference. Gasoline volume changes 0.125% per degree C. The Germans usually do everything at 20C whereas in the USA our standard temperature is 15C. So 5 x 0.125= 1% volume change pr only 0.16 gallons difference. Taken to the extreme, if you were operating at 98.6F = 37C, 17 * .0125, or only 0.34 gallons.

Ayn Rand says that contradictions don't exist ( ), therefore the FWM must be wrong.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Well unless theres a pickled tomcat in the gas tank Yale, it just is what it is, 13 gallons. You may want to have a jerry can or a bigger tank.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

I have a 16 gal tank from a 73.5 CIS car, it probably would be ideal for the guy restoring a 73.5, it's pretty darn perfect, but my 10MPG, now 13, on the '73 hotrod with webers convinced me to upgrade to a 22gal tank out of a mid 80's carrera, was able to cruise 240 miles before the light came on (up from 140, with the 16 gal tank and 10mpg). the swap was pretty straight-forward, although I had to adapt a couple of lines, as the original tank had supply and return (unused with carbs) on the same side, the later tank had supply on the left side, return on the right.

my point here is that any tank from any 911 would fit in your car no problem. the 73 vintage tank works with a full size spare, but after that you need the collapsable spare, of which I have a couple of extras, too.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

100 Litre tank in my car (26.4 gallons) and average fuel mileage of 21mpg. I reset the trip odometer at every fill up and generally refill when I've put 450 miles on a tank. I like the effect of having the weight of a few gallons of fuel up front but I could easily go to +/- 500 miles before I start to look for a convenient place to stop and refill.

Your mileage may (literally) vary.
    -M