Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Original hood crest by Porsche Vs OEM Crest?

New Original hood crest by Porsche Vs OEM Crest?

I have seen some hi dollar value (like new) original crest go over $500.00 USD but Porsche It's now making this crests again, they are new in an unopened box with correct part number and all at a affordable price so it makes me wonder why the price difference in the market?
    It's there a difference between the originals and this new ones or the price it's only a matter of patina?

The new one I saw does look different (not as flat as original, more rounded at edges), but it is beautifully made.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I purchased one of the new ones just to see it in person. It's very pretty. But I don't think it's a truly accurate reproduction of the original. It's way too shiny IMHO. It looks like a piece of jewelry. Still a nice alternative if you don't want to shell out for an original.

My Wife bought me one last Christmas and it looks great. It is well made and detail wise looks like the original. It has the smooth back of the original, is very shiny, and slightly rounded. My later 1973 badge has the pebbly back. I can't say it is too shiny since most of the ones I see for sale have 'patina' from age and while older ones are flatter, that may be from owners pushing on them to close the trunk. I am happy with it, and while a later edition, it is still genuine Porsche. Patina will come with time.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

I over-tightened the speed nuts and the posts broke off my new orange bar badge quickly.

I found an original orange bar on eBay for $65 a few weeks ago. Nice patina and hasn't snapped off yet.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Or you can buy a new one and put it through a 'patina' process. Saved me a ton of money!

Name:  Emblem1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  41.3 KB

OK, I'll bite- what's your "patina process"?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Sorry. It was published here a while ago and I don't have ready access to the thread. I can't take credit for it as it was someone else who came up with the process. At this point I don't remember the details but I tried to offer them as a service already patina'd to whatever level people wanted (light to heavy patina) but there weren't any takers so I shelved the idea.

Was that service to give you their car with the new badge fitted and then you drive it around for a few years to give the badge some real patina?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Sorry. It was published here a while ago and I don't have ready access to the thread. I can't take credit for it as it was someone else who came up with the process. At this point I don't remember the details but I tried to offer them as a service already patina'd to whatever level people wanted (light to heavy patina) but there weren't any takers so I shelved the idea.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Was that service to give you their car with the new badge fitted and then you drive it around for a few years to give the badge some real patina?
    Now why didn't I think of that? You sir are brilliant.