Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom side paint?

Bottom side paint?

Need some feed back on a 1970 911. The trunk area is painted inside but just a dusting? The engine bay is blacked out? The front wheel wells are body color or black? The rear wheel wells are body color or black and the pan is body color?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Ron, it's my understanding that, on a 70, you are correct.
    The front comp. is just oversprayed, the rear is black, and the front and rear wheel wells are black.
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

Take a look at the pictures in this thread and in Cornpanzers album. The 700 mile S must be the best 2,2S reference car we have.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ile-911-detail

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8072442...7630169538658/

I wondered if someone could tell me exactly what I see on the picture of the underside of the car? Is this undercoating covered with light silver overspray and some cosmoline on top of that?? To me it looks more like light grey undercoating, some cosmoline and black along the sides of the car.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Definately Cosmoline sprayed on the bottom, the put it on the trans and engine fan as well!

Ron,, this is exactly how my 70 S is. I always thought it was a bit odd too.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I believe the cosmoline was only for cars shipped out of country to help protect from corrosion during the sea voyage. The make ready department was supposed to wash all that off before the car was sold. Obviously not all did!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ron is your car a Porsche or Karmann built body? There were differences in the paint finish in these areas I believe.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Excellent question and replies. How about the paint finishes in the same areas on a 1967 911S Targa? I noticed that there a few '67's listed on ownership. I want to get my current '67 resto as close to the factory as possible. I think it is a Karmann body.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Excellent question and replies. How about the paint finishes in the same areas on a 1967 911S Targa? I noticed that there a few '67's listed on ownership. I want to get my current '67 resto as close to the factory as possible. I think it is a Karmann body.
    Hi Jerry,
    This thread should be of interest for you regarding SWB paint details:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-paint-details

This thread does not have so much info yet, but at least a few good reference cars:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...reference-cars

Correct me if Iīm wrong but as far as I know all Sīs are Porsche bodies.

Best, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    Ron is your car a Porsche or Karmann built body? There were differences in the paint finish in these areas I believe.
    Thatīs correct. A Karmann 70MY trunk is black (not sure all, but probably most of them). But thatīs the only difference Iīm aware of? Any other paint detail differences between Porsche and Karmann??
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender