Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking valve timing on 69E

Checking valve timing on 69E

Hi All

I have a 69E engine 6290507. I believe this is a 901/09 engine even though outside the range in Peter Morgan's book. It is numbers matching per the COA.

I don't see where the valve overlap range for a 2.0L E is called out in the worship manual including the supplemental section.

I have the further complication of having S cams, heads, and pistons.

Should I follow the range for the S engine 901/02 and /08 which is 5-5.4mm?

Finally, the engine is all together and was running when the previous owner had it. I'm just verifying that it correct before putting it back in. Therefore I haven't removed the cam covers to put extra pressure on the chain during the measurement. I have oil fed tensioners. What kind of error will this introduce?

My goal is to just check the timing and only to pull apart if it's off.

Thanks for the help
    Darren

The 69E overlap is 3.0 - 3.3mm.

It's on page 16 of the Tech specs book
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

As Bryce shows 'E' cam timing is 3.0 to 3.3, BUT since you have 'S' cams then you time for the 'S' cams irregardless of what engine they're in. Just remove the chain housing covers and verify that the tensioner piston is extended up enough to tighten the chain.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    As Bryce shows 'E' cam timing is 3.0 to 3.3, BUT since you have 'S' cams then you time for the 'S' cams irregardless of what engine they're in. Just remove the chain housing covers and verify that the tensioner piston is extended up enough to tighten the chain.
    And while you're in there, look for the letter "S" stamped on the end of the camshaft to verify you in fact have S cams. You can post part numbers for the heads as well if you want confirmation they are indeed S (maybe you have confirmed all of this already).
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    And while you're in there, look for the letter "S" stamped on the end of the camshaft to verify you in fact have S cams. You can post part numbers for the heads as well if you want confirmation they are indeed S (maybe you have confirmed all of this already).
    Not all factory S cams have the S...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks guys. I foudn the E valve timing range exactly where you said. I had that pamplet in some boxes I got with the car, but was not able to find it in the factory workshop manual or any of the other books I have.

The cylinder heads are stamped K1819F with datestamp 3/69.

Last night I set the valve clearance. Ran out of time to set up the dial indicator since my magnetic base is of little use in this application

Ok, now I think I have a bigger problem. I popped the covers off. The left cam (1,2,3) has "3 E" stamped on the end (could be 8 E or maybe even S E, but looks most like 3 E). The right cam is stamped clearly with "S".

I measured the overlap at 5.2mm, so basically right on the money per the tech specification manual.

Because of the different cam stamps I tried to confirm intake opening and closing on cyl 1 and 4. This is where I got lost. The inlet valve started to open 95 degrees before top dead center and closed about 95 degrees after bottom dead center. The spec is 38 BTC and 50 ABC. I got 85/85 on the right cam.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for the help

Valve lash will affect the opening and closing time (tight valves stay open longer) but that is too large a difference. If the engine was running then the cams must be close to correct. What is the spec calling out? Start of opening, end of closing or first position fully open, last position fully open?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

The checking clearance is at 1.0 mm of valve clearance, readjust and see what you get.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I did the valve timing via backside method using .0025 go and .003 no go. Most were out of adjustment, but just ever so slightly. Usually cam degrees given on a card are for start and end of valve opening. I also checked degree of full open and start of close and they didn't align either with numbers given.

Maybe the numbers given in the specs are degrees at a certain cam lift, although I don't have indication of what that lift would be